PDA

View Full Version : Jet Boat drift fishing?

slimfishin's
10-19-2005, 10:28 PM
This is almost a boat question, but here goes anyway. I've lately become curious about people fly-fishing from a jet boat. The routine apparently goes something like this: The driver (usually a guide) runs the boat up a nice riffle, and then cuts the motor at the top. Then, the anglers cast from the boat as the boat drifts down the run/riffle. The driver keeps the boat in position to maintain an optimum drift for the sports in the front. It's virtually the same thing as the famous "merry-go-round" maneuver that drift boaters use... except the boat has the motor running the whole time, and throws a big wake over the water that they are just about to drift flies through. I'm curious if anyone has experience with this sort of fishing? Wouldn't the boat spook the fish you are trying to catch as you boat right up the run? I always thought that jet boats were largely for getting to a spot, then wading or anchoring up to fish, but this run up/fish down routine seems really popular. :?:

Darian
10-19-2005, 10:43 PM
Hi Slim,.... I've heard of this method used for bait or lure fishing in the Sacramento River. If I recall correctly, it's called back trolling or Back drifting. 8) 8)

The usual lures used are things like a Flatfish/Quikfish/Wee Wart, etc. These type lures are chosen as they run deeply and have a lot of action. Weight is added as necessary. It's a deadly presentation. 8) The Sacramento is very deep in most places where fishing of this type is done. That might be why the noise doesn't bother the fish.... :? :?

I've never heard of anyone ever using the method for fly presentation before. :? I would think there're some inherent problems in trying to present a fly from a jet boat in that fashion (....less so in a drift boat). Leadcore lines are probably necessary. 8) 8) 8)

Tony Buzolich
10-20-2005, 09:05 AM
Boy this area up here is really jet boat heaven but most guys use their jet to get upstream, then, use their trolling motor to back troll a hole or a deep run. By "trolling motor" here I mean a little 8-10hp gas outboard. This definitely would be more quiet but I think ANY motor (even electric) will generate some sound underwater. The question is, "How much is too much?"

There is no perfect boat for river fishing up here. Jets are noisy but get there. Drift boats are quieter but only travel one way and require two vehicles in order to shuttle. My prop boat is very limited as to where I can travel in the shallows. No perfect answer.

Sssssshhhhhh :P the steelhead are in big time.
TONY

OregonSalmon
10-20-2005, 10:07 AM
I think they might do that on the Rogue but no casting. Keep the boat a bit slower than the current and use the famed "Rogue River twitch". Sounds horrible and then there is sound of the motor and the smell of exhaust. I hate to be a fly fishing snob but that method is beyond the pale. Bait casting drunk and naked using a treble hook wearing a pink floral hat has more class than that.

slimfishin's
10-20-2005, 06:53 PM
I know about the whole backtrolling flatfish and backbouncing roe, boondogling and side drifting etc... This guide and his two clients would run up a riffle, then stop the boat at the top. With the motor at idle, they would then drift back down the riffle and throw out their monster strike indicators. I just can't imagine this being very productive......... :?: One would think the fish would just scatter as the boat went up, and so they would be casting into empty water as they drift back down. I'm always considering the merits of the jet boat, but I'm not sure this technique would convince me to buy one.

They weren't even naked or casting baitcasters.... although their strike indicators where the size of cheerleading pompoms.........

SF

Katz
10-20-2005, 10:02 PM
I too have been very interested in fishing from a Jet. I took two guided trips this last spring on Jet Boats. One was on the American through another Fly Shop :( (before I discovered this board) and the other was with Shane Harding (guides in the Sac and Feather in the Spring). Both trips were for Striper in April and May. Shane was by far the better guide and the jet boat was great. We ran as far up the river as he wanted to go (often through less than 12 inches of water) and then used an electric motor to control our drift back down. We hooked Striper right were we stopped the Jet and it didn't seem to bother those fish any.

Perhaps Steelhead would be a bit more easily spooked, but I hope to try it sometime soon. I'm convinced, that could I ever afford one, a jet would be a great way to go in the rivers around here.

Katz

Darian
10-20-2005, 10:13 PM
Hey guys,.... It's such an unproductive method that guides in the lower Sacramento River area've been making a decent living using it for about the last 30 years (....that I know of :wink: :wink: )

Bill Kiene semi-retired
10-23-2005, 04:45 PM
On places like the lower Klamath, lower Rogue and lower Deschutes many fishers use jet boats mostly as a water taxi. Many use the boats to get around and wade fish these rivers and some others too.

On our Valley rivers some jet boaters drift with oars using the indicator/nymphing system just like the Valley driftboaters.