PDA

View Full Version : october caddis

Jgoding
10-18-2005, 01:38 PM
Anyone know, do October Caddis emerge off the water or do they have to crawl out and dry off for a bit before they can fly around? I caught a few this weekend and checked them out and brought one home to use as a pattern reference. I will try to post some pics when I can.

Jeff

Darian
10-18-2005, 02:14 PM
Hey Jeff,.... Not sure whether these Caddis crawl out first or not.... :? :?
I've seen many patterns tied to imitate pupal, emergant and adult stages of this bug, tho.

I've caught fish on October Caddis flies in water (eddies, skinny water, etc.) where you wouldn't normally expect to see 'em. I've been fishing on the upper Sacramento at dark, during September, when they were hatching and had to duck to keep 'em from banging in to me :shock: (....large, clumsy fliers, they are). Always thought they emerged from the water. :?

Guess I've never really thought about it. I just make sure I have that pattern around during the late summer/fall as Trout certainly do go for 'em. 8) 8) 8)

Hairstacker
10-18-2005, 02:46 PM
Jeff, I believe October caddis do it all: Some will hatch mid-river, many will swim to the shallows to hatch, and some will actually crawl up on streamside rocks to hatch.