PDA

View Full Version : Spey rod for smallmouth bass

PAsteve
10-17-2005, 05:43 PM
I was wondering if anyone could give me a recommendation(s) for a spey rod for smallmouth bass?

I fish the Susquehanna river in Pennsylvania and thought it would serve as a good introduction to the Spey world. I'd probably also use it for steelhead on the Lake Erie tributaries. With a single-handed rod most of the time I fish size 1-4 streamers with a 6 or 7 weight short sink tip or intermediate line. The fish generally aren't big, 10-15 inches, but 2-3 pound fish are common enough. I want something that will throw weighted streamers but not overpower the fish. Thanks.

Jeff Putnam
10-18-2005, 12:46 AM
Why not for smallmouth?... and any other species where you would like to spend time on presenting a fly rather than casting it. I instruct spey casting here in California where most spey casters are using it for steelhead and salmon but you bring up another good use for the spey rod. I would recommend a 11'-12'6" spey rod with enough power (more of the european action rather than a softer traditional action) to turn over your bugs without sacrificing the feel of the fight.
Sage's 6126 could work with a windcutter 6-7-8, a bit little on the "softer" side. Loomis 13'4" #5 would be even slower. probably too slow. My best suggestion would be a Gary Anderson 12'6"#5. This spey rod is what I use for fish from 13" up to 6 lbs. Cast a Rio spey - Windcutter 5-6 on it with tips and you can fish on the surface down to 10 feet with the type 6, 15' sink tip. Also a great spey rod choice for great lakes steelhead 3-7 lbs. This rod is by far the finest light spey rod in the industry! If your greta lakes steelhead are 10 lbs + you might want to think about a spey in the 7-8 weight range. Good Luck

PAsteve
10-18-2005, 06:02 AM
Thanks for the feedback Jeff.

I realize that spey fishing for smallies is somewhat unconventional, but I can be on one of the best rivers in the east fishing for them within an hour drive, while the Erie tribs are at least 6-7 hours away. I figure I'll get a lot more practice on the smallies and be that much more prepared for the steelies when I do go. Thanks again.