PDA

View Full Version : First post/ stuarts fork of trinity

TaylerW
10-17-2005, 04:24 PM
Hey guys,
my mom astonishingly opted to go to lake trinity :shock: for thanksgiving and where we camp is right next to stuarts fork. i was wondering if any steelies get in there (it empties into the lake) and if so, what to use for the fish. And, since i am on the subject, what about trout in stuarts fork?
Thanks,

Tayler

David Lee
10-17-2005, 04:44 PM
Hi Tayler , welcome to the board !!

You will NOT find Steelhead in Trinity lake (Clair Engle) - you will find lake-run Rainbows ...

They're pretty much the same thing .

I haven't fished the Stuart's fork , only the main Trinity above the lake . Lots of October Caddis crawling around on the bottom , so a large cased Caddis might work if there are any still around in late November . I would use #16-#18 F.B. Pheasant tails on a long (10-14 feet ) leader tapered to 5x - The upper Trinity will be low at that time of year . Just high-stick the riffles at the heads of pools , you should do okay .

David

TaylerW
10-17-2005, 04:58 PM
is there anywhere near there where i could hook inot a steelhead?

David Lee
10-18-2005, 06:28 PM
Lil' Stripe (How I love your handle !!!!) -

Lewiston , downriver from the lake , is about the closest spot for Steelies . Check the regs for open dates and closed sections .

Maybe a board member who knows the area will chime in here ??

David

Gregg Machel
10-18-2005, 07:00 PM
Make sure you check Bill's Reports pages (use the menu above), you might find some good bits of information there.

Here are a few direct links:

Trinity River: http://www.kiene.com/reports/rivers/trinity.shtm

Lewiston Lake: http://www.kiene.com/reports/lakes/lewiston.shtm

TaylerW
10-18-2005, 07:29 PM
thanks for all the info, i think i will be heading to the fly shop soon to get flyys and some info, i am taking two rods, my 8 and my three, i am an amazing light tackle fisherman, not to brag, but i am gonna go after some steelies with my 8 and see the size then i might switch to my three.
my screen name is a curse, i have been striped fishing more times than i can count, and i have yet to get a striper qualifying as medium or big, just little. so hence the name, Little Striper
Thanks,
Tayler

David Lee
10-19-2005, 07:02 PM
Errr ...... I don't think a 3 wt. for Steelies is such a good idea . You'd better stick w/ the 8 wt. .

David :D

Mario
10-20-2005, 01:56 PM
I fished the Stuart Fork about a month ago. I caught a lot of small fish on #16 tan/cream caddis puppa. My biggest fish was about 10 inches, but they were all very pretty. My buddy landed one 15 inch rainbow on the same fly. The stuart fork is a very pretty river...start fishing it at the lake (under the bridge) and work your way up a couple of miles. I was there a few years ago...driving through...without a rod and saw many large lake trout staked up underneath the bridge to move up. I would also check out indian creek...looked good last time I was there...but didn't fish it. Also check out coffee creek. Good luck!

TaylerW
10-20-2005, 09:02 PM
thanks, can you buy those flies at any fly shop, and would a three weight be good for that river?

Mario
10-21-2005, 10:14 AM
Yes, you can find those flys at any fly shop. You should get a good assortment of caddis puppa because the one that was hot for me may not be hatching anymore. This is surely a caddis stream and a 3 weight would be perfect.

Bruce Slightom
10-21-2005, 12:30 PM
You may want to take a float tube or a small boat to fish Lewiston Resv. Right now there is a good hatch of midges coming off and the trout fishing is very good. If you are going to be in that area do not over look this fishery.

TaylerW
10-21-2005, 05:36 PM
thanks, i might try to rent a canoe from the campsite

donpline
10-21-2005, 07:10 PM
Little Striper,

I'll be up on the Trinity on the Sat, Sun, Mon, Tues, Wed, before Thanksgiving. It's a great time for steelies throughout the entire system. We've done very well during that period the last few years. Feel free to contact me for reports at my email address, donpline@aol.com, or on my cell phone 650-207-8065. I should be able to give you a section of the river holding fish during that part of the season.

The fish seem to be holding in the Lower section right now, between Del Loma and Helena, but by Thanksgiving you should be able to take fish above Weaverville. Feel free to give me a call.

TaylerW
10-22-2005, 11:42 AM
thanks, i might just do that, i am thinking of kayaking a little bit of the trintiy and drifting it for a while. would that work?

donpline
10-22-2005, 02:16 PM
Drifting will work great, allowing you the mobilty to cover more water and then camping on a hole when you find a pod of fish.

If you can get a shuttle the run from the end of Steiner Flat Road to Evans Bar should be loaded with fish by that time.