PDA

View Full Version : If you had three days to Steelhead in N. Ca...

Barret
10-17-2005, 11:42 AM
Where would you go?

I have some vacation coming up and plan to travel around from the Bay area up to some Northern CA steelhead streams.. But, I am looking for some suggestions on which rivers to try. I would be traveling around from Monday Nov 21st until Thanksgiving, making my way to Nevada City..

I was thinking the Trinity, or maybe the Upper Sac.. I will of course be hitting the Yuba when I get to NC.

Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks,

Barret

Jasonh
10-17-2005, 01:09 PM
If i had three days to do some fishing, specifically steelhead fishing i would head up the to klamath and trinity. Depending on how the rogue is fishing at the time, that might be the best bet. All depends on what kind of fishing you are looking at doing. If you are looking to nymph i would hit the rogue or upper trinity and if you want to swing, the lower trinity and klamath. Whatever you choose, good luck and post a report.

Jason Hartwick

Barret
10-18-2005, 12:31 PM
Jason,

Thanks. I am open to all techniques, though Nymphing is what I have the most experience with... but I actually want to work on swinging, so its all up in the air at this point.

Just trying to nail down some possible destinations to start planning.

Barret

Darian
10-18-2005, 02:00 PM
Hey Barret,.... I'm assumming that the 3 days includes travel time. If that's the case, I wouldn't travel as far as the Trinity area as you won't have time to do that justice and fish the Yuba (....as you've said you would). :? :?

Faced with that choice and depending on weather/water conditions, I'd go to the American, Yuba and Feather Rivers on your way up to Nevada City.
These rivers offer the opportunity to swing flies or fish indicators/nymphs.... 8) 8)

The time around Thanksgiving is a transitional period for weather in a normal year. If rivers are "blown out", the low flow section of the Feather may be your only reasonable choice.... 8) 8)

Barret
10-18-2005, 03:08 PM
hey Darian,

Yeah, the 3 days does inlcude travel time to get back to Nevada City, but my Yuba plans are from Thanksgiving onward to the weekend. Its nice to have parents that live 20 minutes from the bridge!

The American/Feather were my backup plans just in case I didn't want to drive all the way up to the Trinity area.

You are right that I would have more fishing time if I stayed local.

Barret

Jasonh
10-18-2005, 08:12 PM
That time of year you will probably have a better chance at hooking up with more fish on the feather than the American. The American can be hit and miss until mid december, at least for me in past years.

Jason Hartwick