PDA

View Full Version : WEEKEND ON THE TRINITY

donpline
10-17-2005, 09:54 AM
Left the Bay Area Friday night around 7 for a weekend on the Trinity. Arrived at our choosen spot at 6:30 with no cars in the pull out. Perfect we had the honey hole. As I'm tying a nail knot to put on a new butt section I hear "fish on." Our friend Mark has one on. I run down and take a picture for him. I walk back to the truck and before I attach my new tapered leader he's on again. He lands that fish. Before I get my tippet and flies tied on he's on again. But anyone can catch them on bait, he was throwing a single salmon egg on a split shot. I finally got in the water and started to do some damage, the fish were really eating the beadhead poxyback hares ear. I was using an indicator, with a size 8 on top and a size 10 as the second fly. 8lb fluorocarbon tippet to the first fly, 6 pound fluorocarbon to the second. Throughout the day I managed to hook 11 fish, and land 5. Four adult steelhead to about 7 pounds and 1 chrome 8 to 9 pound silver that ate a prince nymph. Great action all day, but I really struggled keeping the hotter fish on. Between the 3 of us we hooked 24 fish, and landed 16. All fish were chromers in great shape, and all were released to fight again next weekend.

On Sunday we stopped at the Starbucks in Weaverville to get coffee on our way to our spot. Bad idea, two cars in the pullout when we got there. Between one hit of the snooze button, and our coffee stop we were ten minutes too late. We spent the morning trying to find some good water, but every spot had a few cars and several anglers. Wanting to show the same courtesy we were given the day before we did not want to fish in on anyone, so we kept moving. Hooked 2 salmon and 1 steelhead above Junction City. One salmon had me 1/2 way into the backing before I popped him off. Pretty powerful.

Advice, get on the water early, stay late, and try everything.