PDA

View Full Version : Port of Sac tomorrow ....

David Lee
10-15-2005, 10:01 AM
If any board members would like to join us ... :idea:

I'll have Hairstacker and SullyTM with me - we'll be in the turning basin , between Industrial Blv. and Jefferson - come on out and join our floatilla (and get blown around by the nasty ol' north wind :twisted: ) !

I'll post a full report upon returning , if you need to reach me for details/directions , give a ring (916) 920-0634

Cross your fingers for happy , hungry Stripes \:D/

David

Gregg Machel
10-15-2005, 12:51 PM
I plan on attending! I called David and here are some additional details and a map. Bring something to float in (Boat, Kayak, Float Tube, etc.) and an 7-8wt with a type 4-6 sink tip, and a floating line (if they are comming to the surface). Plan on fishing for Stripers or Black Bass. If it's windy, we may move or just sit back and BS. Chartruess and White Clousers are recommended, and some type of top water fly if the opportunity presents itself.

David, please correct me on anything here, or if I didn't get the location on the map just right.

http://www.kiene.com/messageboard/images/pictures/portofsac.gif

David Lee
10-15-2005, 12:57 PM
YESSSSS !!!!

:twisted: A swell trip shall be had by ALL :twisted:

Gregg's info is on the money - it might blow up to 25 MPH , so be aware . A lifevest wouldn't be a bad idea , but we'll keep our collective eyes open for the folks that show up .

Four board members at the same place ..... this could be an EPIC get-together !!

Anyone else keen on a little trip Sunday :?: :?: :?:

David :D

Katz
10-16-2005, 12:31 PM
I was hoping to join you guys, but I was on call last night and got slammed. I drove down there to try and say "hello" and see how the fishing was. Got there about 10am. LOTS of rowers. Looked like a big tourney.

Did you all brave the winds and find any fish?

Also, are you allowed to launch a boat over at the actual port??

Katz

Gregg Machel
10-16-2005, 03:08 PM
We did go, at around 10:00, we were probably on the other side of the water fishing the edges. We fished until around 2:00PM and then called it a day. A few grabs, but nothing landed. :( Got to talk to some fellow board members though, that was nice! Hopefully we will have some pictures soon.

David Lee
10-16-2005, 07:54 PM
Fun day , but very slow fishing , to put it mildly .

Always great fun to have SullyTM and Hairstacker in the Sacramento area - those dudes are a SCREAM to chatter/fish with !! Had a chance to fish with and talk to Gregg for the first time - very civil , cool fellow 8) .

At first light , we could see Shad jumping in nearshore weedbeds , none of 'em under attack unfortunately . Saw quite a few splashes , but never got a solid take . To say that the wind had an effect on our success would be an understatement .....

It blew like mad .... all day .

Beautiful day out there . Another 'high' point was the race being held at the Port - quite a few lovely girls rowing around :shock: .

Katz - I'm very sorry we didn't meet up . Hopefully we can get together and fish/BS pretty soon . I think the POS will fish well this fall/winter , just got to figure out how to do it .

Thanks again to those board guys that came out - I had a great time !!!!!

David

Tony Buzolich
10-16-2005, 08:03 PM
I haven't fished around there since I was kid. Where does a guy launch a boat? Are there ramps? Do the locks still open and close, and if so can a guy come into the basin from the Sac?

Gotta try some new areas.
TONY

David Lee
10-16-2005, 08:28 PM
Hi Tony !

I don't think the locks are still in use , but don't quote me on that . The only ramp in the area is private , as far as I know ....

Thom Sullivan and I carried my 12-foot Jonboat down to the water . Not too difficult w/ two guys doing it . I've only made two trips to POS , and haven't yet caught any fishes . I plan on fishing there through the winter , so we'll see how it goes .

How was the fishing there when you were a youngster ????

David

Tony Buzolich
10-16-2005, 08:51 PM
I think it used to be called Lake Washington if I remember right. Everything was bait back then. Lots of catfish and and an occassional striper too.
For my 14th birthday my dad bought me a large spinning outfit and we christened it there the same day with about a 20lb striper.
Everything was sardnes back then. Used to buy bait at Romeo's in Freeport or Del Paso Blvd. next to the roller skating rink.
Bill probably remembers Romeo's.
The only fly fishing back then was shad darts under the Sunrise bridge and nymphing the riffles from H St down to the black railroad bridge.

Geeeez, you really got me going. Kind of side tracted from the port thing.
TONY

Hairstacker
10-16-2005, 09:09 PM
Hi Katz, sorry we missed you out there. Yeah, we got there about 7:10 a.m. or so and quit at 2:00 p.m. Darn fishy looking place, surprised none of us hooked up. I did get one hit while fishing with a topwater deerhair bug along a weedline but that was about it. Don't like to make excuses but I think the wind was definitely a factor.

I think Adam really missed a GOLDEN opportunity there -- with all those young lovelies competitively sculling past us every 5 minutes, he could have hooked up with one to expertly row him around Alamanor on his next smallie trip. :lol:

Best part of the day for me, though, was definitely when David (AKA David Lee), Thom (AKA SullyTM) and Gregg Machel (AKA Gregg Machel), all from this board, and I secured the boat, the kayak and the float tube together and chattered away while enjoying fine meats, cheeses, sourdough bread, and fine refreshments and spirits provided by our ever gracious host, Mr. David Lee. I could chat with these fellas all day, and I think we would have if there weren't fishies to be chased after. I enjoyed hanging out with these fellas so much that I didn't mind the fishing at all. Can't wait to do it again! :nod:

Hairstacker
10-16-2005, 09:16 PM
Tony, sounds like you've got some great memories of the place, especially being out there with your dad and getting the 20 lb striper on your 14th. 8) Can't blame you for going down that memory lane, I enjoyed reading it.

Darian
10-16-2005, 10:03 PM
Hey guys,.... Enjoyed watching you guys trying to cast in the windy conditions. I came down to see what was happenin' and had a great conversation with the father of one of the competitors on a boat in the regatta. His son was an olympic hopeful many years ago and he was a captain on the rowing team from Oregon State. Now, get this.... His son is 65 years olds and still rowing competitively (works out more than I do)....
The father rowed as a guest in a reunion of the team at O/S last year at age 84.... Wow!!! :shock: :shock:

Anyway, back to the fishin'. Didn't see you guys doin' much so I went searchin' for my old launch point. 8) It's down off Industrial on the other side odf the port. The entrance is the same as that used for the "Laborer's Training Center". 8)

There is a gate there that I've only found open, today. :( Previuosly (before the advent of Homeland Security), I could enter thru the gate with my key to the lock for the Washington Outboard Club..... 8) Not sure how to access that area during the week. :? :? There is a paved launch ramp in that area.... Just not easily accessed anymore. :( :(

Hairstacker
10-16-2005, 10:17 PM
Darian, darn, we missed you too? Next time we have a boat fishing outing, we're going to have to schedule in some shoreline time. Watched us casting, eh? Hope you didn't see anything too funny. . . . :oops: :lol:

SullyTM
10-17-2005, 10:45 AM
Yes, it was a grand day at the POS. Met Hairstacker and his inflatable kayak for the first time :D...I just have got to get me one of those! Gregg also joined us and he was "relaxing" in his float tube...Another terrific mode of aquatic transportation...David "Hercules" Lee did ALL of the rowing yesterday :cry:...It was my first ever striper expedition and even though we all got skunked it was still an outstanding day...Did anyone mention the wind? David
is the hostess with the mostess...He is gracious with his knowledge, time and energy.

Until next time...SullyTM

David Lee
10-18-2005, 07:00 PM
Hey guys,.... Enjoyed watching you guys trying to cast in the windy conditions. (

Mmmmm huh ...... :x

My sorry casting in the wind STILL beats standin' on the bank watching folks row boats [-X :P :P :P

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

You should have come out when we were launching , D - Sully was dyin' to meet you :idea:

Great group of guys - hope we fish together again soon !!!

David

P.S. - Anyone keen on a mid-late fall BBQ ???? I'll host it here :twisted: Let me know what ya think ......

Gregg Machel
10-18-2005, 07:02 PM
Hrmmm, BBQ sounds good! We should probably start a new topic though.

Gregg Machel
10-18-2005, 07:04 PM
I just noticed that this thread went two pages! Looks like these fish-outs are popular! Maybe we should try something at least monthly or so whether it be a Fish-out, BBQ, Tying get together, bar hopping :), or whatever!

David Lee
10-18-2005, 07:05 PM
Hrmmm, BBQ sounds good! We should probably start a new topic though.

Hey , Gregg -

I'll run it past 'management' and get a date together :idea:

As long as we keep it under 500 bodies , I think she'll let it fly =D>

David

Gregg Machel
10-18-2005, 07:25 PM
Well, if EVERONE on the message board shows up, there will be only 408 people. so I think we are in good shape! :lol:

Adam Grace
10-19-2005, 10:57 PM
If I have free time I would love to join.