PDA

View Full Version : Striper Lines

Ryan
10-13-2005, 11:14 PM
I just started fishing a 300 grained SA Streamer Express striper line... and it didn't seem to sink as fast as my old 27' of lead core did... at 12 grains a foot, that makes it like 324 grains. So there is only a 24 grain difference, but it seems like the lead core sinks way faster and stays down much longer... Both have an Intermediate running line. The integrated line is easier to cast, but I can't get it out as far? Maybe a 350 grained striper line would work better? Basically, I just want to get some feedback and see if anyone has had similar experience. What do other people use? Thanks in advance.

Katz
10-14-2005, 11:03 AM
I normally use the 350 Streamer Express on an 8wt. I fished with Shane Harding and borrowed a 400 Streamer Express and that thing went down like a brick. Needed a 9wt Sage TCR to throw it though.

I don't have much experience with straight leadcore, but have herd on multiple occasions that that is the best thing to use to really get a fly down and keep it down.

Katz

flygolf
10-14-2005, 04:59 PM
Hey Ryan,

If you have an old flyline that you don't mind cutting up, try mending that to about 24' of Rio T14. I've been fishing one of these since spring and it casts great (like integrated) and sinks like a rock. I've been fishing it with a Sage Xi2 8wt. I know Andy at the shop can also make you a line he helped me with mine. I like an old line because it's easier to handle than running line and still shoots well if you take off most of the head.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
10-14-2005, 10:33 PM
I think Cortland LC13 leadcore line and Rio T14 is hard to beat for cutting the wind and sinking fast.

As those integrated lines get heavier, they sink faster but you need a larger rod at times.

Rio has a new "Outbound" integrated line that comes in many sizes and sinkrates. It might be better. It comes in a #8 sinkrate.

Ryan,

Call the shop on Sat or Sun and ask Andy for his opinion.

1-800-400-0359

Adam Grace
10-15-2005, 07:32 AM
Ryan, The grain weight has less to do with the sink rate and more to do with the loading(flexing) of your rod. That 300gr Streamer express is pretty fast for an integrated sink tip, especially since it's 30', which is about 4-6 feet longer than most other sinktips. The sinking section is pretty darn thin. Anyway, if the 300 gr line is not sinking as fast as you would like switch back the Lead Core head. I have heard that most die hard head throwers still prefer LC-13 to Rio'S T-14, LC-!3 has a smaller diamteter, therefor makes it sink faster because it offers less resistance. I persoponally don't like to throw LC-13 and I would use the Streamer Express and cast farther upstream and mend a little more just for it's easyness to cast.

I don't think you can really beat lead core. maybe these newer typ8 heads might give it a run for the money; the typ8 heads are very thin in diameter and even more dense with a Tungsten coating. Give one of them a try or ask Andy at the shop. He has most likely given some a try. Reps love to through stuff like that at Andy for him to give his seal of approval.

Good luck - Adam

Ryan
10-15-2005, 09:08 PM
Thanks for the advice... It sounds like if I want to get down deep really quick, lead core is the way to go. It doesn't cast as smooth, but from the sounds of it... it will work better for what I want it for... Thanks again.