PDA

View Full Version : Steelhead info for the Sacramento River

Bill Kiene semi-retired
10-13-2005, 10:23 PM
I just got this email from former employee Matt Johnson who now lives in Los Molinos and works for the CA DF&G in Nor Cal.
__________________________________________________ __________

Hi Bill,

I have hooked a couple of steelies swinging leeches this fall but it has been far from stellar. I am now using my sage 5120 which is kind of cool. This would probably sound kinda weird to your customers, but the line I am using for this rod is a #12 Cortland Tropic floater with about 5 feet cut off the front. I then loop on 8 feet of T-14. Works great.

Catching steelhead in my neck of the woods is spotty at best. The fish are on the move down here. Some years (2002) the salmon spawn heavy below the diversion dam and the steelies will stop and eat, but you can't count on this. I like it because its close, but I would probably be frustrated if I had to drive here.

The best place on the Sac for steelies is around the mouth of Battle Creek. All of the Battle Creek fish, and any fish bound for Clear, Cow, or Cottonwood creeks seem to stack here and smell the water. Lots of folks but lots of fish and some real sexy water. I have done well here swinging egg sucking leeches, and of course on eggs and nymphs. The best float on the river for steelies is Balls Ferry to Jellys Ferry. Oct. 15th-December 15th. The salmon are quite late this year, so tell your customers to be patient and not blow their wad before the fish actually start digging.

Have fun on the Grand Rhonde!! Matt.
__________________________________________________ __________