PDA

View Full Version : Napa River 10/13

NCS
10-13-2005, 11:45 AM
I launched at Kennedy park in Napa at sunrise this morning and fished the stretch of river between town and Cuttings Warf. I fished the incoming tide and had 2 grabs on flashtail clousers. The first strike resulted in a couple of reel screaming runs and a 32-34" stripe to hand. After a quick photo and a check on the boga (12.5#), she was released. Unfortunately the photo didn't come out...my hands must have been shaking too much! I cleanly whiffed the second grab and called it a morning at 10.
There were a few other anglers out today, but the only person who had any luck caught a 6# stripe on a clouser. I also saw a few lost salmon rolling. The water temps were 64-66. The fishing should continue to improve until the water temps drop below 50 and the fish become really sluggish. Tight lines!
Nick

Darian
10-13-2005, 01:24 PM
Hi Nick,.... Sounds like you had a good day. I've never fished the Napa River for Stripers.... Is launching at Cuttings Wharf better or upstream :?: :?: How far upstream does tidewater run into the Napa River :?: :?:

NCS
10-13-2005, 02:13 PM
I had fun this morning! It's not too scenic, but you can't beat stripes on the fly 15 minutes from home.
I prefer to launch at Kennedy park (On Streblow Dr off Soscal Ave in Napa) because it is the closest to home. Cuttings Warf is on the other side of the river and takes an extra 15 minutes in the car. Also, the Kennedy park launch ramp is free and the gate is open by 5:30AM. I'm not sure but there used to be a small launch fee at Cuttings Warf. Either way, both ramps are in the middle of fishable water and only about 2 miles apart.
Tidewater runs quite a ways up into Napa. I think the tidal swing stops around Lincoln Ave, which is about 2.5 miles upriver from Kennedy park.
Also, I usually have to fish in the morning. We get a pretty good bay breeze in the afternoons. Since I don't cast that well to begin with, trying to cast in the wind and control the boat are too much for me to do at once! Good luck!
Nick

Darian
10-13-2005, 10:49 PM
Good info.... Thanks Nick.... 8) 8) 8)

Bill Kiene semi-retired
10-13-2005, 10:57 PM
Thanks Nic,

We have had a few people in from Napa and have wanted to fish the Napa River.

Nice report and any Striper over 10# is a very fine animal.

Darian
10-14-2005, 05:11 PM
Hey Nick,..... One more question. On occassion, I find myself passing thru the Napa area and could easily devote some time to Stripes, there. 8) Does that area of the river lend itself to fishing on foot (wading) :?: :?:

NCS
10-15-2005, 07:33 PM
Darian,
I have never tried to fish off the bank. The bottom is soft and silty, so I wouldn't recommend wading. There are, however, a few places with bank access and backcast room that can probably be fished at high tide. Kennedy park has a long river front trail, and you can walk to the river from some of the streets in town. It might be worth a little exploration!
Nick

Darian
10-15-2005, 07:41 PM
Thanks again,..... :D :D :D

Tony Buzolich
10-15-2005, 08:19 PM
Hi Darian,

I lived there for almost thirty years and can honestly say there are very few places that lend themselves to fly casting from shore and non that I would consider safe for wading until you get above the Lincoln St. bridge.

The bank along the Cutting Wharf area is fishable and the area between there and the Napa Valley Marina is open as well except for all the anise and dill weed that'll mess up your back cast. You can fish off the wharf at Cuttings but there is constant boat traffic there that you'll have to wait for and then again consider the back cast with a few people around.

Definitly it's best to have a boat. There are lots of sloughs and canals that feed into the river between Napa and Vallejo and they all fish well pending the tides. The newly developed wetlands just above the Southern Crossing bridge has a great side channel with lots of old pilings and wharfs that hold bait during high tide but are completely dry during low tide. Check your tide chart before going in there. I once got stuck back in the Leslie Salt flats canal and really had to push and pole in order to get out on a falling tide. They drain quickly.

The Napa river around Hwy.37 and Mare Is. can also be good but again watch those falling tides.
TONY