PDA

View Full Version : Identifying Wild and Hatchery Trout

chemdoc
10-12-2005, 08:34 PM
A lot of people posting on this and other sites distinguish between the wild and hatchery trout they catch, but I am not clear on how one tells the difference. I have been told that the rounding of fins indicates hatchery trout and scales coming off of the fish indicates wild. If anyone can enlighten me as to the best way to distinguish between the two, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

Phil

Bill Kiene semi-retired
10-12-2005, 09:42 PM
Sometimes it is real obvious when you see pictures of big of hatchy fish in one the fishing publications. Real big body and no tail to speak of.

They also clip the adipose fin on some hatchery trout/steelhead.

http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/water/fhp/fish/faq/images/faq_missingfin_adipose.gif

The dorsal (top middle) fin can be deformed (wavy) some on hatchery fish that are raised in crownded conditions.

http://accommodationsinthesmokeys.com/fishing/rainbow.jpg

Wild fish usually have larger fins and sometimes they are white on the leading edge.

Jgoding
10-13-2005, 07:37 AM
I know some hatcheries clip a pectoral fin too or at least they used to. Maybe they all switched to adipose fins but I don't know. Depends on the hatchery I think but most people know or it's usually posted as to how to identify hatchery fish on the river.

Jeff

Digger
10-13-2005, 10:28 AM
last January I visited the Nimbus hatchery and spoke with the DFG person, he clearly stated the clipping of fins does not happen in all hatchery fish, and if you think about it, the sheer number of thousands of fish just cannot be done. But, other means like the more vivid coloring, the full fins, help to indicate most wild trout, especially if caught in the most remote locations.
These days, it's become harder to find truly wild trout. Even the locations that are designated "Wild Trout" areas by DFG, are at times supplemented (stocked) when the resident population drops low enough.

Eyecatch Tinytrout
10-13-2005, 12:50 PM
I've been told that the white edge on the fins is a dead give away on a wild fish. But there's so much variation in coloration that I doubt it's a 100% accurate way to tell. And that might not help with spieces other than rainbows. Too bad there isn't an IQ test for trout. Then you'd know right away which ones are wild! Hatchery fish tend to be pretty stupid.

Darian
10-13-2005, 01:07 PM
I agree that the white edge on the pectoral/anal fins is not accurate 100 percent of the time.... 8) Also, that white edge appears on Brook, Lake, Cutthroat and Brown Trout as well as Rainbows. Probably an indication of sexual maturity (....or something). :D :D

Hmmmm,.... maybe we could issue a DMV ID to all native fish and a green card to the non-native species.... :lol: :lol:

Jgoding
10-13-2005, 01:08 PM
Hey Digger,

I think you made a good point as I used to wonder how the hell do you clip that many fins on all those damn fish. Anyways, I don't really care what I catch, I'm just happy that I caught something. Even suckers and squaws get a happy send off.

Jeff

Digger
10-13-2005, 09:36 PM
And there's always the cut 'em open and see what color the meat is test!