PDA

View Full Version : Where to float friday?

ktrout
10-12-2005, 04:58 PM
Howdy folks -

New to the area and to the board. My father's coming in on Friday and we're planning an afternoon float somewhere withing 1 - 1.5 hours of Davis, hoping to get on some quality steelhead or salmon. Haven't done much of this type of fishing before, except a little steelheading up on the creeks around Lake Erie. I've been looking at the Lower Yuba, the Feather, and the Lower American and they both look pretty good.

I'm looking for some guidance on which would be easier for a tyro like me to fish for an afternoon, good access points for a 3 hour (ish) float, etc. The fishing map for the American has most of that info, but I haven't dug as much up on the other two. FYI, we're fishing from a 14 foot cataraft. I'm planning on swinging flies or floating egg patterns and caddis imitiations under indicators, depending on what seems to be working, but I'd love other suggestions. :?:

Thanks for all the help! :) I've sure enjoyed all the fish pics on the board.

ktrout
}<)))*>

SullyTM
10-12-2005, 05:12 PM
Welcome ktrout...Hang on, you're in for alot of fun and information. SullyTM

Darian
10-13-2005, 12:16 AM
ktrout,.... My vote would be for the American River. Least amount of travel to the water translates into more time fishin'.... 8) 8)

Lotsa access on the American as opposed to either the Feather or, especially, the lower Yuba rivers. There're more Salmon on the Feather but they're only open to incidental catch, right now, and must be released. Some Steelhead up there but it's not consistent, so far. Haven't heard much about the Yuba. Maybe some of the other guys have info on that. 8)

There're some Salmon at different points in the American and, since they're a later run fish, they're more likely to be bright. Some steelhead have been reported and it's probably just as good as the other two rivers, at this point.... 8)

Plus, you might just get into a stray Striper in the American.... 8)

Good luck and enjoy the day with your father.... :D :D :D