PDA

View Full Version : Brief report from the "T"

MSP
10-11-2005, 04:37 PM
Hooked up 7 times today, 3 to hand 4 NOT :( Got the trifecta with a Steelhead, a Silver, and a King. Got one hookup on a Flashback Brown Stone, and 3 on a size 6 Prince. Here are a few photos of the day.

Steelie
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b400/MPutman/DSC00272.jpg

Silver
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b400/MPutman/DSC00273.jpg

The Honey Hole :D
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b400/MPutman/DSC00241.jpg

jbird
10-11-2005, 04:55 PM
VERY nice! Those cohos are mints! How far from tidewater are you?

Jay

MSP
10-11-2005, 05:28 PM
Hey J, I'm guessing somewhere around 50 or so miles. I'm sure someone else has a better idea. And you are right, they are bright, I keep thinking I have on a nice Steelhead until it doesn't jump. They take some reel screeming runs but only roll on the surface once in a while after hooking up.

David Lee
10-11-2005, 05:58 PM
Lest anyone think MSP is 'lucky' , think again -

Guys like MSP , Sturmer White , Chuck Won , Rich Owings .... have that FOCUS - the ability to read the water , present a fly the right way , and pull fish out of water you have just gone through .

I've had each one of those dudes do just that to me , usually more than once :oops: . And , I think I'm a better fisherman for having a chance to fish and learn from them . Nothing will teach you (and humble you) quite like going out with somebody with that skill .

How do you get to that level ???

FISH A LOT :idea: :twisted: :idea:

David 8)

aaron
10-11-2005, 06:12 PM
ive been really enjoying these reports. thanks alot. :)

sculpin
10-11-2005, 07:59 PM
Mike
Boy I love your reports and pictures. Some day I will have to break my Rogue addiction and give the Trinity a try.

Mark

ycflyfisher
10-11-2005, 11:27 PM
Hey J, I'm guessing somewhere around 50 or so miles. I'm sure someone else has a better idea. And you are right, they are bright, I keep thinking I have on a nice Steelhead until it doesn't jump. They take some reel screeming runs but only roll on the surface once in a while after hooking up.

50 miles is a good guess probably within a mile or so. Believe it or not, that riff used to fish much better two seasons ago than than it has been. That riff used to pool out more and be much shorter which seemed to concentrate the fish. You also used to be able to get to it from the other side via those two now locked gates. I wish you hadn't posted that, because now I'm gonna feel guilty about beating you to the water tommorow morning! Just kidding! My first destination is probably gonna be on the Klamath. If I'm not catching fish hand over fist there, you can expect to see me in that riff at some point in time on Thursday or Friday..........

SullyTM
10-12-2005, 07:02 AM
Those Trinty fish are all going to party hardy when MSP moves back to the Sacramento area. Mike, good job the last few months. I'm sorry I couldn't get up there, but hopefully there is a "rain check" for me. Nice photo of the "Honey Hole". Thom

MSP
10-12-2005, 07:25 AM
Look foward to some company YC.

Andris
10-12-2005, 08:29 AM
Hey guys--I just found this board and thought I'd chime in. Spent Monday morning down by Big Bar. Got a couple of 1/2 pounders and hooked into a big something that broke me off after about a minute. I'm just starting to learn this game and it sure is a fine way to spend one's time. Good luck to all. -Rob

Bill Kiene semi-retired
10-12-2005, 08:36 AM
Hey Mike

What size tippet are you using now? Just curious.

donpline
10-12-2005, 09:04 AM
Thanks for the great reports. I agree it always helps fishing with other people. Allowing you to think out of the box a bit. Whether it's a longer leader, a different fly, a lighter tippet, or an extra split shot, it's the little things that can add an extra fish or two, and turn a good day into a great day.

I have also just been introduced to this board and look forward to reading many posts throughout the season. I must admit I'm a little jealous of the weekday reports. But I will be up there this weekend picking on the leftovers.

MSP
10-14-2005, 09:32 PM
Hey Bill, I'm still using 12# pound tippet. I don't think I'm getting hit as much as with the 8#, but I'm having much better success landing fish. The water has been crystal clear. Getting some rain tonight.

PatrickM
10-14-2005, 09:53 PM
Hey Mike,
I'm still pretty new at the steelhead thing and was just curious about your fishing technique. Are you swinging, using an indicator, or kind of high-sticking into a swing? Any info is greatly appreciated. :D Keep the reports coming - they're far more interesting than anything else I read at work. :twisted:

Adam Grace
10-14-2005, 10:21 PM
Great picture Mike, you lucky guy.

Are you still using Fox's Poopah styled nymphs? Swinging any flies or high sticking?

When can we all come up and fish with you, we all want to join you, everyone!

JERK! :D