PDA

View Full Version : Slab Creek

middlepath
10-11-2005, 04:16 PM
Anyone ever float or pontoon Slab Creek, entering at the East End (via Pollock Pines)? Seems like a place where fish could grow large, with little pressure. Believe that is the south fork of the american? Flows were fairly substaintial even this late in the summer. Dont believe motorized craft are allowed either.

Todd

Terry Thomas
10-11-2005, 07:37 PM
Fished it a few years back. At the time, it had a healthy population of Sacramento River Pike. Looks like a good place for smallmouth...unfortunately we did not connect with any.
T.

Ed Wahl
10-12-2005, 05:17 AM
the tailwater below the dam holds some trout, always wondered about the lake.

Tracy Chimenti
10-12-2005, 07:18 AM
The responders are correct! There are some agressive, mamoth squaws in the lake. However, there are some large trout as well. Best bet for trout is to troll there during the winter.

middlepath
10-12-2005, 09:33 AM
At first glance looks like it could be interesting getting back upstream to the beach where I would launch. Especially in a tube......think my river pontoon would work nicely. It amazing the overall lake of information on the water, only could find some SMUD survey data, that didnt have much to say about fish populations.

I assume the current drops dramatically further down.

Such an amazing gorge, to bad it has been thrased by rednecks and teenage party goers with all the trash and broken bottles.

Tracy Chimenti
10-12-2005, 09:42 AM
Good news! There's a primitive 4-wd launch on the south side of the lake near the dam.

You don't want to mess with the inlet area for lauching. Wy wife was in one of the DFG BOW kayaking programs and the hydro-flows never came down by the time they got back up-lake. Got a few wet and scared trying to ferry them across with an emergency conveyance. They ended up having to walk out through the canyon and a few had to be brought across the water by Eld. Cnt. Fire on a retrieval system. Just go to the dam and you'll be fine.

AnD watch out for MEGA-SQUAW. HE WILL EAT YOUR DOGS.

middlepath
10-12-2005, 09:04 PM
Bummer mega squaw taking no prisoners on the trout population I take it. Ever hook his little brother?