PDA

View Full Version : Trinity 10/10

MSP
10-10-2005, 05:19 PM
The fishing is still pretty good up here. hung 8 fish today, a mix of Salmon and Steelhead. Managed 2 bright silvers to hand, a 1/2 pounder and a 6 pound hatchery fish. I didn't think there was such a difference in the wild Steelies and the hatchery fish but there definately is. The wild fish out fight the hathery fish 2 - 1. I'm starting to get pretty good at knowing which I have on in a short amount of time. Kinda reminds me of the difference in catching a Rainbow and a Cutthroat. No comparison. Got some pictures but they are all looking the same, so I'm just giving written reports from now on. Thankfully the hook pulled on the 2 Kings I hung today, well one pull and another break off. 25# plus fish that I didn't want to deal with any longer than necessary :shock:

Here is a pic at J's request that's a little different, one of the Silvers I got this morning.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b400/MPutman/DSC00268.jpg

Reality is going to show up sometime next week, looks like the house may be done around the 18th. I guess I'll have to spend a little more time on the water until then :shock:

BTW: Thom, the Poopahs are #8 3X long in tan, orange, and cinnimon.

Until tomorrow!

jbird
10-10-2005, 06:57 PM
Mike. I dont mind your pictures at all..post away. I have been accused of taking a stuffed fish to the river with me all the time and photoing myself with it. lol They are all different if you look close. Different lighting, background, fat fish thin fish red fish blue fish....wait a second, that was stollen from Dr. Suess.

I used to be pretty sure about native versus hatchery fish by the way they pulled. I have since totally changed my tune. I have caught a bunch of hatchery fish that have jumped as high as my head, several times. And I have had some real duds with adipose fins. It has really made me enjoy hatchery fish more. I used to say, "wow! look at the airtime on that nice native", and it would turn out to be clipped.lol.

The funny thing is, the more I learn about steelhead and the better I get at catching them, The more they surprise me and show me I havnt even scratched the surface in figuring them out. They are more deeply imbeded in my sole than I should have ever allowed. LOL!

J

MSP
10-10-2005, 07:46 PM
Yea J you are probably right about the wild vs hatchery fish. I am no expert by any means but I sure have noticed a a difference so far. Tomorrow I will probably change my mind. I have just figured most of the LDR's I have had were on fish that absolutely went crazy after the hookup, charging me, turning and heading upstream so fast I couldn't get my line out of the current along with some very impressive leaps. All the fish that I have managed to land that acted this way have been wild so far, and the few hatchery fish I have got, like the one today, seemed a little docile. Hell I don't know, I have to say I like them all. We'll see what happens tomorrow. :shock:

Bill Kiene semi-retired
10-10-2005, 08:15 PM
Great Mike

I have heard for years, even from fly fishing guides, that Salmon on the Trinity River are very difficult on a fly?

I guess you didn't hear that. Har har...............

Quite some time ago Chuck Campana at the shop helped a young guy pick out some flies for Salmon on the Trinity River. They we like a green comet called a "Green Weeny" which we use to use for Silvers years ago on the coastal rivers before they disapeared.

I see that poeple are getting Silvers on the Klamath and the Rogue too. I think the DF&G and/or the Feds are trying to bring back the Silvers in CA. I think they put some in the coastal rivers like the Russian and others.

jbird
10-10-2005, 08:30 PM
Oh Yeah! Beauty!!!! Thanks Mike. I bet theres a couple sore mouth fish that hang out at your honey hole now, and tell all the other fish coming thru, "Be extra careful here! Just try to keep your mouth closed till you reach the next pool" LOL

Do you see other people over there doing as well as youve been? Tell the truth! My question doesnt call for modesty. :-)

J

MSP
10-10-2005, 09:13 PM
Hey Bill, you're not up here yet, oh yea you are heading South. I am quite surprised at the number of Salmon I've been getting and the number of Silvers that are in the river right now. I quess these guys forgot they aren't supposed to be hitting flies, actually I hope they remember soon! :shock:

J the answer to your question is no. I'm mostly fishing with beaders and roe guys and I've been getting 2 - 3 fish to their one. The only guy that has been at the hole that knew what he was doing with a fly rod got one fish after I placed him in my spot. The next morning he was right where I left him the day before so I went up river and got a one to hand and another that came off while sliding it to the bank. In the meantime he said he had one on before he left. I'm thinking it has a lot to do with the flies and the drift through the hole. I've been fishing a slack line getting the fly deep and keeping it on a dead drift. The other guys were swinging a little more and not keeping the fly on the bottom. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. I will say I've been having a great time these last 3 weeks. :D

SullyTM
10-11-2005, 08:46 AM
Mike...Keep posting photos...maybe with some shots of the river to "set the scene"?

#8, 3x Long...I'm off to the fly shop :roll: Thanks. Thom