PDA

View Full Version : Report: East Carson 10/8 AM - PM

Wednesday Caster
10-09-2005, 11:03 PM
Last minute business called for me to deliver goods up to Minden= last minute FF trip :D . Business all taken care of Fri evening leaving Sat open for fishing. Started out late Sat AM and did not get to the water above Hangman's Bridge until 8am. Fished above the Carson River Resort camping areas but found nothing interested in anything I was offering- nymphs and dries. Drove up further about a mile and repeated the whole process and getting the same results. And then again another mile or so with a repeat of the first two stops :angry: . Hatch- was sparse or non existent. Puting in 3 hours and 0 fish I decided to go back to family's house in Gardnerville to have lunch and wait for the evening. Drove back to above the CRR camping area again and found another FF breaking down his rod and asked if he'd worked it over pretty good. He said he found no fish. There was a sparse hatch so I decided to go dry and maybe hang around long enough for the hatch to improve. After about 20 casts into the pool confirming the FF that left, I decided to wade upriver. During my wade upriver, the hatch was improving but still saw no fish rising. Determined to stick with the dry I found a set of 3 deep runs with riffling waters in between. I fished a light colored caddis with a black body and gray hackle but my position was too far up the pool which made for a very short drift and so I waded down just enough to extend the offer. The strategy worked. The flash of a 12" bow surprised me since I spent nearly 4.5 hours today with out a disturbance on the water but I was quick enough to respond and set the hook. I worked the next 2 runs the same way and managed about 10 strikes but landed only 4 with one being just shy of 14". I left the water at dark 6:40 (dark because I forgot to bring down my glasses and only had my sunglasses with me and couldn't bring myself to stop to walk back up to the van since I was finally into some fish). I've noticed that the evening on the EC out performs the morning and this day has was another confirmation. Will need to do a couple more studies to validate this data. One more note- as I drove up in the evening, I noticed in the CRR parking lot a fisher was putting his fish in a bag. This brute of a :fish: was easily 20" and thick. Do these mutants exist on the EC?

PaulC
10-09-2005, 11:12 PM
There are definitely some big boys in that stretch of river. Every year someone pulls a 10lber out of there. I hooked into one a couple years back on an alaskan salmon fly that was a beast, busting me off on the first jump. With that, heenan, and wolf creek all nearby....its a hard place to beat in the fall.
-Paul

Rob
10-10-2005, 10:06 AM
A couple of friends fished the E.C. saturday and had some luck using grasshopper pattern along the bank. They did land a couple of fish around 20' . One of them used a birds nest as a dropper under the hopper.

Take Care-
Utah Rob

Sunset Over Cache Valley Utah

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/rgkempton/Logan%20Utah/Pana.jpg

Wednesday Caster
10-10-2005, 08:32 PM
So, here I thought I was doing so well with my 4:10 record :( . There are actually 20's in there :shock:! Wow!!!!
Now I've gotta get out and do more business up north (it's the only way I can justify a road trip to the wife) :^o .
Quinn

Rob
10-10-2005, 11:10 PM
Check out this fish photo I found on the web of a E.Carson fish.
My biggest fish from the Carson is around 18'' but I understand there are some BIG fish in there.

http://www.imhooked.com/wiza/images/090602e.jpg

Rob

Hairstacker
10-10-2005, 11:16 PM
Quinn, nice report! Sounds like persistence paid off. Much better to catch 4 fish in 6 hours than none in 4 1/2, don't you agree?

Wednesday Caster
10-11-2005, 11:04 AM
You're all pulling my leg since I'm not a local aren't you?
That is a brute and the fish is big too. BK already posted a response on another site that these monsters are stocked in the EC (radioactive intergalactic exiles, my opinion).

Mike,
Yes- much better to catch fish than write reports about pretty sunsets.

Quinn