PDA

View Full Version : October Fly Swap?

Gregg Machel
10-09-2005, 12:05 PM
Is there an October Fly Swap?

Darian
10-09-2005, 12:23 PM
Gregg,.... Check out the Topic, Sierra Stonefly Swap, below..... 8) 8)

Ueyama
10-10-2005, 01:33 AM
I am a very novice and beginning fly tyer. Can you explain how the fly swap works?

Thanks

StevenOjai
10-10-2005, 06:30 AM
Ueyama,
A fly swap is a collection of tiers, usually open to all levels of skill. There is generally a theme as to what type of fly to tie. Enough flies are tied so that each participant recieves one. The flies are sent to the swap host who has the responsibility to divide and send the fly assortment back to each participant. Often, there are discussions within the group as to how certain materials are used etc. It is a really good way for a novice tier to learn how to tie a quality fly since it forces you to tie a number of the same pattern as well as you can. You'll also get to see samples from the other participants and note their style of tying.
I have one tier, Will, who fills a spot in the Stonefly Swap that is open to another, if need be. I'd welcome you to take this spot from Will. Just let me know by today.

Thanks, Steve

Hairstacker
10-10-2005, 09:07 AM
Ueyama, I just want to second what Steve said. On this board, at some point, someone will step forward and volunteer to be the "swap host." The swap host will pick the "theme" of the swap, sometimes after soliciting everyone's opinion, and establish a sign-up period of usually a week. All it takes to sign up is to reply to the thread and say you want to participate. Then it's just a matter of tying up the number of flies required, as Steve said, and sending them in to the swap host by whatever deadline he/she established during sign-ups. Anyone, including yourself, can volunteer to be a swap host.

I would HIGHLY encourage you to participate in future swaps here. It's all in good fun and past swaps have shown ALL levels of ability. This is an easy, very friendly group and swaps are a GREAT learning experience. When you tie for others, you will look at your own flies with a new set of eyes, believe me. Unquestionably, it will raise your fly tying skills to a new level. Plus, you will get back some really cool flies that you won't find anywhere in stores and those who tied them will be more than happy to provide lists of materials and tying instructions and tips if you're interested. 8)

By the way, if you get a chance, check out Steve's gem of a website which, I'm not kidding, is one of the very best you will ever find -- he has a ton of patterns listed on his website along with detailed, step-by-step tying instructions with photos. Outstanding.

Ueyama
10-11-2005, 12:38 AM
Hi Steven,

I hope I am not too late, as I am 30 mintues past the deadline. I am extremely excited for this opportunity and up for the challenge. Forgive me as I have been only tying since late February of this year.

I researched the type of stonefly, "wired stone." I found it on www.flyangleronline.com. Attached is the link, http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytying/fotw2/080403fotw.html.

Do I have to use the exact same materials, same type of hook, and same size hook. Can I use different materials and add my own creativity to the fly?

PS> I utlized your site mostly for my recent trips to the sierras. Its a great guide for my camping and maps.

Let me know if I am in and be part of this swap.

Thanks.

Mike

StevenOjai
10-11-2005, 07:50 AM
I'm glad you joined, Mike. Choose any stonefly pattern you desire. Just let me know and I'll post it.
Steve

Ueyama
10-11-2005, 10:29 PM
Put me down for the wired stone.

Thanks

Darian
10-11-2005, 11:04 PM
Hi Mike,..... Glad to have you aboard.... :D :D

In answer to your question, when tying a particular fly pattern, it's customary to come as close as possible to the descritpion/recipe of the original.... Otherwise, it wouldn't be a copy of the original..... 8) Matching hook size/style can be subjective but the recommended hook still should be used where possible. 8)

That's not to say you can't be creative with a pattern (as Steve is doing with his), but if you change a pattern you might want to identify it as a variant or rename it.... 8) That way the originator gets the proper credit for his/her own creativity..... :D :D :D