PDA

View Full Version : Need computer help!

Jasonh
10-06-2005, 04:58 AM
I am having trouble with the internet on my computer. While i am able to open most pages including this one i am unable to view photos and other pages such as photobucket.com and speyclave.com will not work. It just says cannot find server. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Jason Hartwick

Darian
10-06-2005, 09:28 AM
Hey Jason,.... I've had that problem at times. Same message displayed. What I found was that it may be one of two causes:

First, my ISP had determined (by some form of discovery) that they would not connect to those sites and would display the message. The reasons are not always clear to the user but your ISP will tell you if that's the cause.

Second, those URL's are/were not available (either temporarily or permanently) for whatever reason (softwear upgrades, etc.).

If these suggestions don't solve this problem, check with Gregg Machel.

Hairstacker
10-06-2005, 09:50 AM
Jason, do you have DSL?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
10-06-2005, 09:50 AM
I think PhotoBucket is so crowded that it is always slow?

Do you have dial-up or DSL or cable?

Jasonh
10-06-2005, 09:53 AM
I have DSL. Photobucket is always slow but it is not even showing up it just says cannot find server. Thanks for the help. I am going to keep trying.

Jason Hartwick

Hairstacker
10-06-2005, 10:04 AM
Jason, try this:

Within Internet Explorer, go to "Tools," then click on "Internet Options." Then in turn click on "Delete Cookies" and "Delete Files." (Don't worry, this last one just deletes temporary internet files that may be clogging up your system).

Then turn the computer completely off and unplug your DSL modem for 30 seconds. After 30 seconds, plug your DSL modem back in and wait until you get the solid lights before turning your computer back on.

This is a procedure I run from time to time when I get into your situation. It will likely take care of your problem. Good luck!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
10-06-2005, 09:46 PM
Good info Mike.

I use 'Spybot' spyware (free) to clean that 'stuff' off once a week.

I look for updates on my Norton anti-virus weekly too.

I do a full anti-virus system scan once a week.

I look for the 'Microsoft Windows' updates too.

Then like Mike said go to 'Tool' and 'Delete Cookies' and 'Delete Files'(temporary Internet files)

Then go to the 'Start' and 'All Programs' and find 'System Tools' under 'Accessories' and run 'Disc Defragmenter' tonight.

Then turn off everything including you DSL router.

After that it should run better.

**I learned all that from my techy friends, Eugene Graham, Gregg Machel and Alan Barnard.

Jasonh
10-07-2005, 06:37 AM
Bill, thanks for your help. That seemed to work. Thanks for everyones help. I really appereciate since i am not very good with computers!

Jason Hartwick