PDA

View Full Version : Fishing the American

Chris Laskodi
10-05-2005, 08:03 PM
Hi all,
I was just wondering how the A was fishing. I haven't seen any reports lately. I was hoping to get out there tomorrow for about 6 hours. Has anyone been seeing any halfpounders around? If so, where at? I remember seeing someone fishing at Watt a few weeks ago, but I don't remember how they did.

If the American isn't doing anything, I'll probably head over to Putah. I don't think thats fishing well either. I just haven't fished for any sort of trout in a while and I need to get out.

Thanks,
Chris Laskodi

Eric Ryan
10-05-2005, 08:56 PM
I just put in 2 hours this evening upstream from the Fair Oaks Bridge. Salmon were jumping once every 5 minutes or so, probably just showing off. I was with a buddy who has a little more experience there than I do. We came to the conclusion that there were not many fish at that part of the river yet. Tons of caddis (dark tan 14-16) in the air and over the water, yet no rises (he tried caddis, and then nymph and egg sucking leach). I was going deep for salmon (Atlantic salmon fly type). Neither of us got a bite. I went last weekend as well, no luck either. Not very crowded today. I did see one boat fisherman had a large salmon on a string. He was parked under the foot bridge. Most are using flatfish lures and spinning gear. Some are using egg beads on line with snag hook (found rigs on shore).

Eric

Jasonh
10-05-2005, 09:43 PM
Sounds like there are a lack of half pounders on the American this fall. Seems to have been kind of a weird year of fishing on the American!

Jason Hartwick

flygolf
10-05-2005, 09:47 PM
Hey Chris, I've been spending my lunch time upstream at Hazel and it's been hit and miss. Last friday I caught two of the nicest adult steeheed I've ever caught and the day before that I caught one adult about 7 lbs. I've been out the last three days at lunch and have only picked up one halfpounder. I've also been fishing down at Paradise area in the evening and right at dark (7 pm) there are a lot of fish rising but I have been unable to get them to take anything. I have picked up some earlier in the evening swinging brindle bugs but it does seem a little slow for this time of year.

oonchie
10-06-2005, 12:19 AM
those rising fish...

try a caddis emerger. those fish are not going after adult caddis..

lafontaine caddis emerger..

Jgoding
10-06-2005, 08:36 AM
Fishing has been tough for me as well. Fish seem very skittish this year too. I pretty much have to crouch down as standing and casting seems to put them down. Never seen this before on the A. Fished a multitude of caddis patterns in all stages and only got a few juvi's to hit. Had 5 guys in my run Sunday, and none of them got a touch either. I'll figure it out soon though and post a report.

I did catch a sculpin in a budweiser can though!! Thought I'd do my part to help clean up so I picked up a bud can that was pretty much crunched down except near the top and had been in the river awhile and as the water was draining out I could feel something flopping around in there. Guess I wasn't helping out the river life much cuz the sculpin inside was pretty pissed he had to relocate. Not sure if he could even get out though as I had to rip the whole open with a pair of hemostats to get him out.... Kind of funny though

Jeff