PDA

View Full Version : Sierra Stonefly Nymph Swap

StevenOjai
10-01-2005, 07:44 AM
Swap is Full... 8)

Who's up for swapping a favorite stonefly nymph pattern? This will be a relatively quick one. Send me an e-mail (stevenojai@aol.com) or reply on this Forum by Oct. 10th. Flies will need to be sent in by Oct 31st and you'll receive yours back by Nov 15th. Photos will be taken of all flies and posted to Bill's Gallery.
Thanks,
Steve Schalla

Participants (as of Oct. 10th)
1.David Lee : Black Rubberleg Stone
2. Darian : Bird's Brown Stonefly
3. StevenOjai : Riffle Dragon Stone
4. Ueyama: Wired Stone
5. Eric : Peacock Bodied Stonefly
6. Bill Hammons : Beadhead Golden Stone
7. Dean Endress : Yuba Stone
8. Mountain Man - Nielsen Stonefly
9. Chris May - Woven Yarn Golden Stone
10. Gregg Machel : Poxyback Golden Stone

10 is the limit. I promised Dean no Mega-swaps :D

David Lee
10-01-2005, 07:47 AM
Hey Steve - I'm down for it .

#6 Black Rubberleg Stone

David

Darian
10-01-2005, 01:09 PM
Hey Steve,.... Sounds like a good one. 8) I'm in. How about a Bird's Grey Stonefly. Size 6..... 8) 8) 8)

StevenOjai
10-05-2005, 05:38 AM
I'm working on this stonefly pattern. It uses scudback material for the top and bottom of the abdomen. I can dub between the scudback layers and tease the fibers from the side. This gives the appearance of small appendages yet keeps the abdomen sleek and streamline for a quick descent. The bottom scudback is clear so that the contrasting dub color will show through. A monofilament strand provides the segmentation ribbing. So just want to let you know that I'm putting one of these in each participants package. Give me your feedback for some future tweaking.
Thanks Steve

http://stevenojai.tripod.com/images/sierrastone.jpg

Gregg Machel
10-09-2005, 12:30 PM
Count me in if there is still room! :)

Gregg Machel
10-09-2005, 03:46 PM
If I'm not too late, I'll be doing the: Bead Head Epoxy Biot Golden Stone

StevenOjai
10-10-2005, 06:40 AM
Gregg, you made it in!!
Here's a couple of thorax variations on the Stonefly I'm playing with. One utilizes rubberlegs for the legs with Swiss Straw for the wingcase and the other uses a partridge feather for legs with Swiss Straw/Scud Back for the wingcase. I think I'm leaning towards the partridge legs. Delicate and flowing.
http://stevenojai.tripod.com/images/sierrastone1.jpg

Darian
10-16-2005, 10:18 PM
Hi Steve,..... Your designs are cool. 8) 8) Of the two, I kinda like the one with the rubber legs best. Most of the Stonefly nymphs I've seen aren't delicate.... :D :D

My .02

Darian
10-17-2005, 01:31 PM
Hey Steve,.... The flies are in the mail this afternoon..... Sent 10 flies so you won't have to return one to me. Included toe tags, a pattern description with summarized instructions and return postage. 8) 8)

Tried to be true to the original pattern, but, I suppose that this pattern should be called a variant of the Bird's Stonefly Nymph as it incorporates materials that weren't available to the originator. For example, Antron blend and flashabou weren't on the market when this fly was developed. :D :D

Ueyama
10-17-2005, 10:55 PM
Quick question regarding the "WIRED STONE" that I am tying.... I will be using roughly the same materials suggested by the recipe... but was thinking of adding more to the fly. I am thinking of adding additional wings and an epoxy backing.... similiar to Mercer's yellow stone. Let me know if I should add....

Thanks... Mike

Hairstacker
10-17-2005, 11:36 PM
Ueyama, one of the cool things about fly swaps is the opportunity to see thoughtful, creative pattern variations -- witness Steven's post above soliciting feedback on two variations of legs for his stonefly. If you think it would be cool to add to the standard recipe and you like the looks of the end result better, I say go for it. Like Darian said in the other thread, if you think you still have basically the same fly with minor alterations, identify it as a "variant." If you think you've altered it to the point that it is really a new pattern design, then make up a new name for it. It may just be that everyone will like your version better than the original. 8) The main thing, of course, is to have fun with it as you try to give it that something extra that hopefully gives it more eye, er, fish appeal. ;-)

StevenOjai
10-18-2005, 09:57 AM
Just to check in.... I'll be looking for your package, Darian. If we get everyone's flies sooner than the deadline, I'll get these back to you sooner also. Concur with Hairstacker's comments, fly swaps are meant to be creative and fun. I usually host an April Fool's Day swap with some really great flies like the Ultimate Fish Emerger fly which looks like three sticks of dynamite with a fuse.....all in fun. :D
Just got back from atop Mt Whitney this weekend. 70 mph winds and a wind chill in the teens. Snowing on the way down. Found some Goldens just above Outpost Camp on the east side of the mountain.
Steve Schalla

StevenOjai
10-22-2005, 05:14 AM
Recieved the Bird's Stonefly Nymphs from Darian. Beautiful flies. Darian used a flashabou wingcase over turkey tail with a palmered hackle over the thorax. Here's the pic:
http://stevenojai.tripod.com/images/flyswap1/birdstone.jpg
The fly designer, the late Cal Bird, is one of the most reknowned fly tiers coming from Northern California. He also developed a dry version of this fly which consists of a orange floss body with a trimmed furnace hackle rib and a bucktail wing. It is quite similar to Kaufmann's stimulator. I don't find much information on Cal Bird's bio. We are assuming that the design date was sometime before 1965, Cal designed his Bird's Nest in 1959. If you know of some good source material, please let me know.
Steve

Darian
10-22-2005, 06:13 PM
Hi Steve,.... I think the patterns were developed earlier than the 70's. I have a copy of McCLANE'S STANDARD FISHING ECYCLOPEDIA.... circa 1965. Both nymphs (Brown/grey) and the dry pattern appear in photo's in it..... 8) 8)

I agree, there isn't much historical info about Cal Bird available. :? One of our best fly tiers.... :D :D

David Lee
10-24-2005, 07:25 PM
Steve -

Flies are in the mail .

Before anyone calls 'em SLOP . I've compared them w/ the tight chennile ones (the dubbed bodies work better , IMO ...) . I even put eyes and feelers on them for you fellas , though the Trout don't care much .... I think the best thing you could to them is fluff 'em up w/ a piece of Velcro :idea:

Fuzzy is good :ninja:

Also , they are un-weighted - a few splitshot will get them down , and they drift better than 'spark-plug' ties :P .

Thank you for hosting !! =D>

David :D

Jgoding
10-25-2005, 08:05 AM
Nice tie Darian!

StevenOjai
10-27-2005, 04:06 PM
I spoke to Andy Burk recently about the late Cal Bird. Andy was a close friend of his. Cal Bird passed away in 1999. He originally had a fly shop in San Francisco but spent the last 25 years of his life in Reno. Cal was an avid flyfisherman and tier, but was not a guide. The Bird's Stonefly pattern predates the Bird's Nest. Andy thought that it was developed around the mid-fifties. Cal designed the stonefly along the banks of Burney Creek. The fly was marketed by Dan Bailey of Montana and is still popular today. Cal also had a couple of other notable flies: the Bird's Caddis and the Yogurt Parachute. You might also encounter the Cal Bird dubbing tool....this was developed for Cal by Frank Matterelli and is still marketed within many fly shops today.
Steve Schalla

Darian
10-27-2005, 04:34 PM
Thanks for the history/info.... Wonder of Mr. bird had a profession, other than fly tying :?: :?: I really enjoy learning about the backgrounds of fly fisherman/tyers. 8) 8)

Ueyama
10-31-2005, 12:05 AM
sent the flies out on saturday. i hope they get there on time. i did not have toe tags but did have narrow post its. i hope this suffices. i put each fly in a plastic bag, the one i get beads and hooks in. can you tell me where to get toe tags.

thanks, mike.

Darian
10-31-2005, 03:49 PM
Hi Mike,..... If you have MS WORD or similar wordprocessing software on your computer, you can make Toe Tags by typing/sizing/printing the page. Cut them out and hook each tag at the bend of the hook.... (Hope I haven't confused you on this :o )

Mountain Man
11-01-2005, 06:52 PM
Steve,

I have 10 good flies tied for the swap but no mailing address to send them to. Please help me with a Mailing address.

Thanks,
Mountain Man :)

reply to nielsenh@comcast.net or hnielsen@mail.arc.nasa.gov

Hairstacker
11-03-2005, 06:08 PM
Hey guys, Mountain Man has been waiting to hear from Steve for the mailing address to send in his flies but he hasn't heard anything. He completed his stoneflies over last weekend -- can one of you guys send him the address for mailing in his flies for this stonefly swap? Thanks!

StevenOjai
11-03-2005, 07:02 PM
We got it covered, Hairstacker. Mountain Man got my e-mail and sent his flies to me today. There are just two more to come and I've been in contact with both...so all's well in Stonefly Land :D
Steve

Hairstacker
11-03-2005, 09:25 PM
Cool, thanks Steve! Mountain Man had asked me if I could help him get your address but, of course, you had him covered. Thanks again!

StevenOjai
11-05-2005, 05:55 AM
just got a couple of packages from David Lee and Mike Ueyama. David sent in a nice assortment of black rubberleg stones. The body is a dark Mohair blend including some Lite Brite in the mix. He's using a couple of strands of black Krystal Flash for the anntenae and mono eyes. Mike's Wired Stone is an inspiration of San Juan River Tier, Jeremy Barela. Mike is using two wire colors, Hot Yellow and Copper. The thorax is Peacock Black Ice Dubbing. You can get some instructions on this fly at http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytying/fotw2/080403fotw.html.
Brad Befus of Montrose, CO also had a nice article in Flyfishing Magazine on Wired Stones. When Wapsi brought out their colored wire in a number of sizes, the Wired Stone really became popular. Brad suggests the following wire sizes depending upon hook size:
Wapsi Ultra Wire to Hook Size
Small #14-16
Brassie #10-12
Medium #8-10
Large #4-6

http://stevenojai.tripod.com/images/flyswap1/blackrubleg.jpg

http://stevenojai.tripod.com/images/flyswap1/wiredstone.jpg

Darian
11-05-2005, 09:21 AM
Great lookin' flies.... 8) This is shapin' up to be a very good swap.... 8) 8)

Gregg Machel
11-06-2005, 04:44 PM
I have good news and bad news. Being the slacker that I am, I am a bit late, but I finished my flies! That's the good news. Now the bad ... I did an epoxy back and screwed up the epoxy on some of the flies. This was my first attempt at diong an epoxy back. If anyone has good tips on how to put the epoxy on smoothly, I'm all ears. I used 5 minute epoxy and put it on with a toothpick. Unfortunately it's too late for me to go back and do it again, so I'm going to send them out the way they are.

I'm sure the fish won't care, but doubt this will be one for the showcases! :)

StevenOjai
11-06-2005, 05:27 PM
Don't sweat it, Gregg. I've done the same thing when I made my first ones too. The secret is to use a bobkin. The toothpick does not provide the drop control you need. Also....apply a thin amount first, especially around the edges of the turkey wingcase. Then .....when you add a second drop it will smooth out the first one. Also....only do about 2-3 flies at any one time. The 5 minute epoxy sets up quickly. There are other tiers I know that have totally given up on the epoxy and substitute "Sally's Hard as Nails" with about 3 coatings.
Steve

David Lee
11-06-2005, 08:02 PM
Greggers -

Epoxy flows much better when it is warm .

I have a goose-necked lamp on my tying desk , the same ones that college kids like Adam slave away under whilst reading text books (I'm so blind .... you could light a NUKE off in the room and I still wouldn't be able see what I'm tyin' .... :roll: ) . take your post-it pad , squeeze out the correct amout of hardener and resin (50/50) , and mix it close to the lightbulb :idea:

It'll get watery .... use a tiny amount to 'wet' whatever it is you're putting epoxy on ..... after a moment or two , apply the correct amount . You can 'push' and manipulate the epoxy when it gets thick (or , what I call ''slow' - still runny , but moveable) , or wet a fingertip w/ saliva and pat down any lumps or high-spots . Do not lick fingertip AFTER using the epoxy on it :puke:

Both epoxy and silicone have the 'fear-factor' - people that have never used it are shy about doing so . Just tye up some disposable bugs and experiment ...... There's no better way to learn .

David

PaulC
11-06-2005, 08:13 PM
Hey Gregg,
Another thing I've been using for epoxy backs is UV knotsense. Its UV cure and is viscous enough to hold form. As Steve suggested, just mold it with the bodkin and in this case throw it in the sun and done.
I find less sagging problems using the immediate UV cure. It is basically solid soon as it hits light and stays clear.
Always fun to experiment at the vise regardless.
-Paul

StevenOjai
11-11-2005, 08:28 AM
Two more excellent stoneflies came my way, both are originated by the tiers. We have one more to arrive but I'm sending these back to you on Monday, Nov 14th, regardless.
Dean (Flyjunkie) sent in his Yuba Stone. What a gorgeous fly! I need to get Dean's material list but it looks like a mottled Nymph Skin carapace/wingcase with an epoxy coating. It uses a Golden Stone dubbing blend that is ribbed with a fine copper wire through the abdomen. Dean uses a Grizzly Soft Hackle that is palmered around a Golden Stone dubbed thorax and collared just in front of the thorax.
http://stevenojai.tripod.com/images/flyswap1/yubastone.jpg

Kriss Nielsen (Mountain Man) sent in a great looking stonefly with his Nielsen Stone. The fly uses a dark brownish black dubbing blend with dark brown vinyl ribbing. The tail is a split one of soft hackle fibers. Maybe pheasant?? Kriss also uses Pheasant for the wingcase. A soft hackle is wrapped twice between the abdomen and the thorax. The antennae also appear to be Pheasant fibers. I'll try to get a materials list from Kriss also when we make our final posting.

http://stevenojai.tripod.com/images/flyswap1/nielsenstone.jpg

Expect to see a package from me by Wendsday next week. I really appreciate the effort everyone put into making this an exceptional stonefly swap. Thanks to everyone.
Steve

StevenOjai
11-15-2005, 10:32 PM
The Sierra Stonefly Nymphs have been sent back to you as of yesterday. Pleased to announce a 100% response from the group. The pics of the flies are posted on my web site at:
http://stevenojai.tripod.com/flyswap1.htm

I wish to extend my appreciation to everyone that took part in this swap. It was personally very satisfying to host a group that enjoyed sharing their skills with others. We have a very good display of flies that will be much admired from many viewers from around the world.
I will be hosting another swap in January on Mayfly emergers. We will be keeping to a 10 person limit. Let me know if you are interested.
Thanks, Steve

Gregg Machel
11-15-2005, 11:51 PM
Thanks for hosting this one Steve, and especially for the tips and support. I learned a lot on this round, and again, my apologies to all about the sloppy epoxy! :( I've learned and will show a huge improvement next time.

Darian
11-18-2005, 05:59 PM
Hi Steve,..... Received the swap flies today and am very impressed. 8) 8) We do have some very creative tyer's in our community..... 8)

Thanks for hosting this swap. It turned out great. :D :D :D