PDA

View Full Version : Trinity Adventure Update

MSP
09-30-2005, 10:12 PM
Well the wife got back tonight so I have lines of communication again. The fishing has been been pretty good the last few days. Tuesday I got a nice Siver Salmon and a couple of Kings to hand in the morning and a nice Steelhead of about 6 pounds in the afternoon. Should have had a couple of more Steelies but these fish are mean :twisted: . Yesterday only a 8-9 pound King to hand but again missing a couple of Steelhead cause of not retying a fly or hook straightening ](*,) . Today a different story, 3 fish hung in the morning and 3 fish to hand, 2 Steelies and another beautiful Silver Salmon. Back in the afternoon and hook up with an average size King that gets wrapped up in all the line the bait chuckers are leaving in the river. SeeSaw SeeSaw and finally the line gives and the fish flies 3 feet into the air. That took care of the afternoon when a couple of young pups came down and decided to check out the river in their snorkle gear :-({|= . No problem I was getting a little fatigued anyway. The river has come alive and if any of you are planning a trip up here it will probably only get better. Until tomorrow!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-30-2005, 10:36 PM
Great Mike,

When I retire some day I always planned to just spend a month or more on the Trinity or Klamath in the Fall.

I use to go up to the Klamath and Trinity about 20-30 years ago with old Joe Shirshac who works at the shop most Saturdays. In the mid-day when it was slow Joe would drive into some of the camp grounds and talk with some old timers who had travel trailers up there for months every Fall.

I knew then that I wanted to do that myself some day.

PS: Are you fishing downstream from Willow Creek mostly?

MSP
09-30-2005, 10:52 PM
Yea Bill, this has been great, a little slow and a little early when I got up here but it looks like things are starting to bust loose. Rumor has it that the weir has already counted over a 1,000 Steelhead and that is only a 5% count, meaning there are over 5,000 fish already above the weir. Yes I have been fishing below Willow Creek, and unless something changes I think I will continue to fish the same run I have been fishing this week. Great country, great fishing, get your butt up here and I'll show you what I have found.

David Lee
09-30-2005, 11:08 PM
Sounds like you're gettin' 'em !!!!!

The box is on its way tomorrow , I hope ya stick MOBY w/ one of these .

Please fish the Spey flies on the swing - I'd hate to see ya throw one with lead on the line . I'm sure you will find a 'suitable' victim soon enough , leave a few for the indicator guys ( you know who you are ..... bead fishing ____________ !?!) . I hope your hands get BLISTERS from all the Chrome you have to wrassle with , hurry back for Delta Striper season .

See ya soon -

David :D

PS - HI to Wendy

Hairstacker
10-01-2005, 10:02 AM
Wow, awesome Mike, sounds like you're in the thick of it now! 8) 8) 8) Salmon. . . Steelhead. . . , must be rough up there, ha. Still swinging those Fox Poopahs?

MSP
10-01-2005, 02:46 PM
Yea Mike, still throwing those Poopahs. David and Jason are sending up some flies, but I'm going to have a hard time taking off the Poopahs. I've been trying other traditional Trinity stuff, but the only action I'm getting is on the Poopah "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

Jasonh
10-01-2005, 03:39 PM
my guess is that there is some activity going on with the october caddis and the fish are taking the larger tan poopah as an october caddis. I would guess a good traditional fly to try would be a chappie or burlap in a size 6-8.

Jason Hartwick

Hairstacker
10-01-2005, 05:22 PM
Yeah, I hear ya Mike -- I don't think I'd switch flies either if I was getting into the kind of salmon and steelhead action you're now getting! 8) 8) 8) Really looking forward to more reports. :nod:

MSP
10-01-2005, 06:17 PM
Here is a photo of one of the Steelhead I got yesterday.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b400/MPutman/DSC00249.jpg

Jasonh
10-01-2005, 06:51 PM
Thats a biggin! Looks like that fish is certainly not on a diet! Keep it up Mike.

Jason Hartwick

jbird
10-01-2005, 08:16 PM
Holy cow! What a fish!! Great job.

Jbird

sculpin
10-01-2005, 09:14 PM
I really enjoy your updates and how the fishing is improving it seems each day. Really nice picture of a beautiful fish.

Mark

Bill Kiene semi-retired
10-01-2005, 09:55 PM
Holy Cow...............that's a real hog........

Hairstacker
10-02-2005, 12:18 AM
Holy mackerel!! That is one helluva of a fish Mike! That picture needs to go into the picture section of this site for sure. :nod:

Wednesday Caster
10-02-2005, 08:57 AM
Sorry Mike, That's not a steelie.
Did you call Budweiser to tell them one of their clydesdale got loose?!?
That fish is HUGE! :shock:

Adam Grace
10-02-2005, 09:25 PM
Great Fish Mike, I hate you :P

Keep up the good work!

Jgoding
10-03-2005, 10:31 AM
Jesus Mike, do you think you can catch anything bigger for a pic?? Is it all catch and release down there???

Looks like your having a great time too. You should've bought a place up there like my parents!!

Jeff

rrivera
10-03-2005, 11:49 AM
Didn't know Orca's were running now... :shock:

That's some creature your holding there... :eek:

Keep on fishing... Keep posting those hawgs..! Great Shot..!!

:fish:

-R