PDA

View Full Version : Carp Presentation

Jay Murakoshi
09-29-2005, 08:32 AM
Well, it's almost finished. My Carp on a Fly program is getting rapped up.
It has taken me a while (2 1/2 years) to put this presentation together. After studying many hours at the lake side watching their feeding habits, seeing what type of habitat they really like to venture into, where they are most active and the different types of bottoms they like to dwell in, I'm putting the final touches on this program.. With 4,500 slides I took just this past spring I'm selecting the best to help describe these Big Golden Lips. The only thing I have left to do is shoot the equipment, flies and any other shots that were bypassed.
I will be adding this presentation to my program flyer that I send to the club program chairperson every year. A good possibility it might be one of my presentations at the fishing shows this year (not certain)

You know, fly fishing for carp has been big back east and throughout the midwest for years. In the European countries they have huge carp derbies. In my opinion, the only reason you probably haven't seen alot on the West coast because of an EGO thing. I decided to come out with a program just to see what people think. Hey, Dave Whitlock is a big fan of carp fishing, but in the early years, he really didn't want to admit it

Sooooo, stay tuned - watch your local clubs or shops for a "Carp on a Fly"
presentation

Jay

SullyTM
09-29-2005, 08:45 AM
Jay...After getting laughed at all Summer by Mr. Carp, I look forward to your program. Best of luck on your efforts to educate the masses. Thom

Darian
09-29-2005, 08:46 AM
Jay,.... I'm impressed!!!! 4,500 slides to edit/organize, etc. It sounds like your presentation will be interesting/informative. 8) I'll be looking for it. :) :) :)

Adam Grace
09-29-2005, 09:37 AM
I thumbed my nose up at carp for a long time. It's not a beautiful fish and I considered it a trash fish for a long time until this past year. I have heard many reports of how hard carp fight and how difficult it can be to catch the on a fly. I heard somebody call the carp a golden freshwater bonefish. With all these people in the western states of the country now searching for carp on the fly my interest has peaked. I would love to watch and listen to your slide show about carp Jay.

slack_in_the_box
09-29-2005, 07:03 PM
It's definately an EGO thing Jay. I posted a some pictures of my girlfriend and I with some Carp earlier this year and was surprised at the response to say the least.

Once people try it and realize that it's a skill game and that these fish really are great to catch it will catch on. Not to mention once they learn how intelligent this fish is.

I just read that Rainy's Flies is putting out a nice assortment of Carp flies.

Say, the lakes down here in San Diego have been experiencing a seriuos algae bloom as the water levels drop and are sapped of Oxygen. Are you experiencing any of this on your Carp water where you are?

Great News Jay! Thanks for Sharing! :)

Rhys

PaulC
09-29-2005, 08:28 PM
Carp are definitely not trivial to catch on the fly. I have only had a couple on and the rest of the time experience rejection. Plus they have some good pull to them.
I would love to check out the presentation if the opportunity arises.
As always, thanks for putting the time together to spread the knowledge.
-Paul

jbird
09-29-2005, 08:55 PM
Jay

I am very interested in fishing for carp. and your right, alot of folks out here think carp are swimming terds. I dont agree with that assessment at all. We have some monsterous carp here in southern oregon that I have been coveting ever since I saw them. The environment theyre in tho is 5' deep ponds with steep banks. I was told theyde be next to impossible to catch because theres no "flats".

Jay

Hairstacker
09-29-2005, 09:16 PM
Jay, I'd be very interested to see your presentation. 8) Everything I've read so far tells me carp are a GREAT gamefish.

JPY
09-29-2005, 09:24 PM
Jay - Save me a seat when you decide to give that presentation. John

Jay Murakoshi
09-30-2005, 07:04 AM
jbird & slack in the box

Let's see, I'll answer your questions.
jbird, we have a couple ponds and some lake overflows that will usually fill up in the spring and the carp will inhabit those waters because the water warms up faster and alot more opportunities for food. OK, this being a overflow pond, the banks are steep but are covered with weeds, no flats to cruise. I use a full floating line with a SJ worm weighted with only one mini tungsten bead for a slow sink rate. Usually the pod is 20 to 80 fish. I will either cast to a fish on the outside or the trailing fish.
Even the slight "FLOP" of the fly will sometimes send them swimming off.

Slack
My main lake I have been fishing is now at 50% capacity and to think that 6 months ago it was over the spill way. But I drove around the lake yesterday checking out alot of the coves and noticed only one cove will algae. A couple nights ago, I checked out the evening bite (without a rod)
and found one bay full of bait fish, small spotted bass and carp cruising the area. The water is shallow so you can see tails sticking up and gold flashes as they swim by. I was so wrapped up in following these fish, that I forgot I was on crutches. When I turned around and looked for the truck, it was as small as a match box toy. Let me tell you, crutches don't go up hill.

I'll be back in a couple weeks with the pram and check them out

Jay

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-30-2005, 03:30 PM
I have heard of several people who actually guide for carp with a fly over the years.

Dave Whitlock has a friend who guides carp on a fly up near the Great Lakes?

Bill Marts in Washington State had a manager of his fly shop, Darc, who guided carp with a flats boat in a lake near Wenatchee, WA.

I watched a Walker's Key Chronicle on TV where Flip Palot met with a guy out of a fly shop back east somewhere and they caught carp in a lake where the ripe mulberries where dropping off into the water with a plop.

The carp is a little like a fresh water Redfish and we got lots of them here.

I think it will get bigger every year.

jbird
09-30-2005, 06:10 PM
Bill

When I first started getting interested in carp, I googled a bunch of carp related phrases. I found a surprising amount of carp guiding going on around the great lakes and elswhere. One site had a streaming video of a guy hooking one on a flat. that thing bolted for about 75 yards with a speed that was shocking, it took about a 1 second break and bolted again even faster and farther than the first time! High quality disc drag system a must!!

Thanx for the tip Jay.

J

Jay Murakoshi
09-30-2005, 06:41 PM
Bill,

I saw the same program on Walkers Cay. I was also watching a short video on Dave Whitlock.
I don't plan on guiding but I have taken a few people carp fishing. All of them had boats so we were able to cover more water. They were all surprised how the trolling motor or just the slapping of the water against the boat spooked these fish. The next step is to get a pole to pole the boat around. When I fish from my pram, just the slight rocking will clear out a cove fast

I see a couple catlogs are carrying carp patterns now. My self, I would stick with small nymhs and my trusty ole red San Juan worm.

Jay

Tony Buzolich
09-30-2005, 08:17 PM
I just got the new Spirit River catalog and it has a couple of new flies this year called "Carp Candy" and "Shellback Carp Bug" both tied on a size #6 hook.

There were actually two shows with Flip Pallot fishing carp with Dave Whitlock. They were at the Great Lakes using crayfish patterns over a hard limestone lake bottom, and the other was in Indiana I think using the Mulberry fly.

Got me interested too,
TONY

mems
09-30-2005, 11:16 PM
Aloha, Rainy's flies has a couple of pages devoted to carp. They even have a bread fly I might try on awa, milkfish. The new flies are in their new catalog, and not on the web yet. If you want a catalog, e-mail me or send a note to Jesse at info@rainysflies.com. Tell them I hooked you up, Mems.

slack_in_the_box
10-01-2005, 10:39 AM
Hey Jay,

Sorry to hear you were on crutches. :(

Our water levels havn't dropped as much as yours by the sound of it. Many of the area mountain (hills to No.Cal folks) lakes are experiencing a nasty bloom. A couple of weeks ago I decided to fish one anyway. It was like fishing in a large cup of de-caff. I fished deep and fair-hooked a nice little cat-fish on a rusty clouser nymph. First time for everything!

You bet I will be on some Carp in the next few weeks if visibility permits. Of course if the Bonito make a strong appearence, I will have to say bye bye to Mr. Carp for the fall and winter.

Hope you're off your crutches soon! :)