PDA

View Full Version : Truckee report

PatrickM
09-28-2005, 01:45 PM
I was able to sneak out and fish the Truckee both afternoons last weekend. Fishing was a bit slow, but I managed to fool a few, mostly on small copper johns or micro-mays. Most fish were rainbows and were actually quite small, with the biggest being around 15 inches, with quite a few in the 10-12 inch range. I spent quite a bit of time fishing steamers hoping for some big browns, but no luck.
There's still quite a bit of water up there, which is nice to see at this time of year. No signs of October caddis, either in the air or under rocks, but I heard that they've started down on the Nevada side.

Eyecatch Tinytrout
10-03-2005, 07:16 PM
pm,
sounds like you did better than I did. Was there Friday the 30th. Fished all day and got a 11" rainbow and an even smaller brown. I love fishing there but it's so dang tough! Was using hare's ears and princes. I think I'll try copper johns next time. Maybe some of your luck will rub off on me! Tiny

Jasonh
10-03-2005, 08:08 PM
If you are looking for bigger fish out of the Truckee you might want to dead drift crawfish patterns or strip streamers on a type 3 sinking tip. I would recommend olive zonkers, double bunnies, and ralph cutters goblin. Those have all produced fish over 18" for me in the past.

Jason Hartwick

PaulC
10-03-2005, 08:31 PM
I've done really well out there in the past with small copper johns and barr's net builder patterns using ice dub as a substitute with a bit more flash.
Definitely some big fish out there, but you have to work to get em.
-Paul

Eyecatch Tinytrout
10-04-2005, 11:28 PM
Thanks for the tips, fellas! Much appreciated!
Tiny