PDA

View Full Version : Great Day on the River

MSP
09-27-2005, 06:30 PM
Well things are finally turning around for me. Don't know if it's the fish or the Fox Poopah's but fishing is getting HOT! This morning I hung a Salmon right off the bat, but thankfully it came off pretty quickly. Put on a Orange Poopah and second cast I'm into a Jack Salmon around 3-4 pounds. Plenty of fun but it was a little camera shy and came off as I was sliding it onto the beach. Back to the Tan Poopah and just as the fly started it's swing Wham! A beauty of about 7 pounds skies out of the water and straight upstream. This time I kept a little tighter line and the line was rooster tailing upriver into my backing. The 8# couldn't take it and a clean break was found at the leader. An hour or so later a bump just as the fly hits the water. Not a very solid hookup and a couple of wallers later the fish is off. Back for lunch and a beer and I'm back on the water around 3:00. Five cast later I get a bump and miss the fish, didn't even prick it, but that fish jumped eye level with me and looked to be 6-7 pounds. Another miss and decide to change back to the Orange Poopah. 2 cast later nailed again and this fish headed straight across and down river. Into my backing the fish turns back up river and never stopped. Busted off again. Upped the tippet to 12#. Finally a 1/2 hour before I had to get back I finally get a nice fish of 6 pounds or so. This fish didn't have much fight in him. Had it to hand in 4 - 5 minutes. All in all a great day, even though I only got one fish to hand. The adventure continues :D

Hairstacker
09-27-2005, 06:33 PM
Wow Mike, sounds like you had an awesome day!! 8) How are you rigging those Fox Poopahs?

MSP
09-27-2005, 06:42 PM
Hi Mike, I'm throwing a dry line with about a 12 ft leader. I got tired of multiple split shot tangling so I bought some Eagle Claw # 7 which are about the same as 5 or 6 BB's. The water I'm fishing is semi fast and runs from about 3 to 8 feet deep.

Hairstacker
09-27-2005, 06:47 PM
Thanks Mike! I take it an Eagle Claw #7 is a large split-shot? So, using a 12 foot leader, you're simply tying the Fox Poopah on to the tippet with a big split shot somewhere up the leader and with no indicator?

David Lee
09-27-2005, 06:50 PM
:twisted: :twisted:< YES> :twisted: :twisted:

We all knew you'd get 'em !!

I'll send a supply of #8 October Birdnests w/ the Spey flies this week - keep on those Steelies !!

David

Jasonh
09-27-2005, 06:50 PM
Way to go mike. If you need me to post more pictures, shoot them my way.

Jason Hartwick

MSP
09-27-2005, 07:08 PM
Yea Mike, it's the same way I fish the American, but I have to use a little more weight in the run I've been fishing. And right again, no indicator.

Man I'm going to have to straighten out my fly boxes to get all these new flies to fit. Thanks for the support guys. It only took 5 weeks to finally start hitting some fish, but that just makes it that much sweeter :D Those boys are in trouble now!

Jasonh
09-27-2005, 07:12 PM
Trninity steelhead caught by MSP 9/27.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y213/longhorn4life/Fishing/msp2.jpg

Jason Hartwick

jbird
09-27-2005, 07:57 PM
beautiful fish Mike. Sounds like a really exciting day. One I'm sure you wont soon forget.

Jbird

PatrickM
09-27-2005, 10:20 PM
I've been enjoying your reports from up there, Mike. Sounds like you're starting to get it figured out. :thumbsup: Keep at it, and keep the reports coming.
Bye the way, that October Birdsnest pattern sounds interesting, David. :-k Care to share a few details?

SullyTM
09-28-2005, 08:55 AM
=D> And to think Mike, you didn't have to break out those Secret Weapon flies I sent you! But you GOTTA love those Poopahs! Time for me to tie a few more... :wink:

Watch your backcasts. Thom

JPY
09-29-2005, 09:30 PM
Hi Mike,

Do you find it more difficult to nymph without an indicator? Is there an advange to fish without an indicator or is it just preference?

Beautiful fish. Please keep the reports coming.

John