PDA

View Full Version : Big Horn River, Montana

denny griffin
09-26-2005, 10:13 PM
Just returned from 3 days on the Big Horn. Day one , hot and sunny, day two, overcast and cool with a front moving in. Day three, rain and cool. They flushed the river the day we arrived so we had to contend with lots of floating grass, but only for one day. Floated the whole 12 miles on day one, from the dam to 12 mile take out. Got plenty of fish, about 30%Browns and 70% rainbow.
On the way in we stopped at Big Horn River Lodge and talked to the owner, Phil Gonzales. Phil put us on the right flies (san juan worms and small#16 or 18 sow bugs or scuds with a pinkish hue). I had very good succes dropping the sow bug below the worm. The worm we used was fairly heavy so I took off my split shot and indicator and basically swung my flies on about 10 feet of leader. My buddies were laughing at the rig, but I was having great success. Also picked up 3 nice fish swinging a green zonker.
On day two and three we only covered the first three miles of river and did lots of wading. we got plenty of fish. Dry fly action was marginal. Black caddis hatch was over and tan caddis hatch had not started and we saw no tricos in the evenings. A few small midge hatches during the day. We only picked up a few small fish on drys.
Over all, it was a great trip. Most of the fish were in the 12 to 14 inch range, but we managed to get a few bigger in the 18 to 20inch class.
Happy to answer any questions for anyone who has not been there before.

Denny Griffin

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-27-2005, 06:02 AM
Great report Denny.

I met Phil Gonzales at the ISE show in San Mateo las year and he seems like a wonderful guy.

I hear the Big Horn is one of the top trout streams in the US but have not got to fish it myself.

Hairstacker
09-27-2005, 09:36 AM
Denny, I agree, great report! Appreciate you providing the details on your swinging rig. 8)

denny griffin
09-28-2005, 08:33 PM
Bill,
If you ever have a chance, I would go. We stayed at Cotton Wood Campgrounds in a cabin. They have various sizes and the cost is really reasonable. They will also set you up with a drift boat for $100 per day including the shuttle. Easy river to row and you spend alot of time out of the boat. Cost for lodging,food and boat was about $100 per day.
Denny Griffin

caltagm
09-28-2005, 09:02 PM
I've been enjoying reading these postings for a couple years now but this is the first time I've been inspired to join in. I just spent Labor Day weekend on the Big Horn for the first time and I have to agree. It's a spectacular place to fish. We knocked 'em dead with the San Juan worm and a scud dropper (called a Ray Charles for reasons that I couldn't determine)under an indicator. We each had two 20 fish afternoons and a 30 fish full day in heavy winds. Rarely were the fish under 15 inches with many in the 20 inch range.

If you're up for the full lodge experience complete with some of the friendliest local guides and food that is out of this world, try the Eagle Nest Lodge in Hardin. It was fantastic experience that I hope to try to replicate next year.

Thanks again for a great bulletin board.

David Lee
09-28-2005, 09:40 PM
Welcome to the board , Caltagm !!

Nice report , Denny -

David

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-29-2005, 06:13 AM
Hello Caltagm

Thanks for registering and posting here.

denny griffin
09-30-2005, 01:22 PM
Caltagm;
Regarding the Ray Charles sow bug. It gets it's name because it is so good even a blind man can catch fish with it.