PDA

View Full Version : 2 Hours on 99

Wednesday Caster
09-25-2005, 08:05 PM
I will finish my business route up in Vacaville on Fri. and heading south on the 99 in the afternoon (around 2pm) . Will be stopping at family in Fresno late evening.

This question may open the flood gates with opinions but, if you had only 2-3 hours to fish (for something larger than 4-10"ers- my norm down here in the city of Lost Angels) which river would be best?

My FlyFishNorCal.org map shows a half-dozen major rivers that intersect the 99 between Sac and Fresno: Moke, Calaveras, Stan, Tuolumne, Merced, San Joaquin et al. I'm hoping to drive no more than 1 hour off the 99 to give me some extra time to fish.

I've only been on this road twice in the last 7 years (total of 3 ever). Once, on an evening run and the other one early this year (with my family and son slightly ill in the van) so my attention was not on rivers.

Thank you greatly,
Quinn

Darian
09-25-2005, 08:21 PM
Hey Quinn,.... If you'll be coming back to '99 thru Sacramento, your best bet to get into fish that might give you a tussle is the American River. Easily accessed at several known points with easy return to '99 for your journey south.... 8) 8)

There're other rivers south of here but not with the same potential and ease of access..... Unless, of course, you want to fish for Black Bass in the east or southeast Delta.... 8) 8) 8) 8)

My .02

andanb
09-26-2005, 10:05 AM
You will finish your route right next to one of the best big fish fisheries in the area. Putah about 15 min from Vacaville has some absolute toads. The creek is a nymphing creek mostly but olive streamers will work also. Most people use 16-18 midge patterns like wd40's, pheasant tails, zebras etc. Fox's pupas(olive) are also working well. There are several fishing accesses on the creek below Berryessa and above Lake Solano. (this is the only area to fish) If you float tube you can have a good day at the top of lake Solano pulling streamers (mostly for stocked fish but you can get a brown...see my picture) At this time of year I would nymph the creek and give the bridge a try(downstream). The fish are colored up and are beautiful right now.

Wednesday Caster
09-26-2005, 08:23 PM
Thanks gents for helping me schedule my upcoming Friday.

06:45 American River
11:00 Client Visits
01:00 Client visits
02:00 Putah Creek
04:00 American River
06:45 Sunset-Travel to Fresno

I only wish I could schedule more days like these in a year. :D
Quinn

Bug
09-28-2005, 04:15 PM
Putah has mudsnails in it so please remember to treat your boots and waders before fishing other rivers. 8) Bug

Wednesday Caster
09-28-2005, 11:25 PM
Bug,
Did some internet searches on the Putah earlier today. Decided not to fish it but will drive back up to the A as to avoid dem pesky lita crittas. Not worth the risk of contamination.
Thanks.