PDA

View Full Version : Last American Striper report , 9/25/2005

David Lee
09-25-2005, 04:29 PM
Ahhhh ..... the last AR Stripe trip of the season !! Didn't fish much out there this year because of high flows thru most of the spring/summer .

Water level was around 2200 CFS , and colder than death - must be in the mid-50s . Fished my home water of Hoiges hole and Paradise beach .

Not a touch .

To add injury to insult ..... I fell a few months ago , pranging my right wrist . It has become steadily worse , untill today - after slinging T-14 for a couple of hours , I can no longer cast AT ALL :shock: :crybaby: :twisted: . Trying to backcast had me in major pain . I'm trying to set a quack appointment for Wensday of this week , because I have to fix this problem NOW - don't want to miss Dan Blanton's STRIPERFEST , or be lame for Baja !

Stripers on the A never really came together for me this year - my count stands at a measley three fish to 4 lbs. . I know of several local flyfishers that did alright this season , including some very respectable Stripes , but I never heard of great numbers of Striped Bass being taken on the fly . The bait guys took more large fish out this year (from the reports that I have seen) than any year out of the past five - I cannot really blame anyone or anything for the poor showing , other than less than friendly conditions for wading w/ a flyrod (very high , cool water for most of the season) .

Nothing ever stays the same ...... and , that's alright . The Shad had great spawning conditions , that bodes well for more 'bait' in the American . If the Salmon and Steelhead come up in force , they will also likely have a good spawn for a change because of the higher , colder flows . More fish of any kind in there means more Stripers will stay and feed in the future !!

Now , I will switch my focus to the Port and the Delta . Untill next February on the American .... :idea:

Have a good one !!

:D David :mrgreen:

Katz
09-25-2005, 10:14 PM
Thanks for all the reports. You deserve to have a Fall filled with Huge Stripes on the Delta. Best of Luck!

Katz

David Lee
09-25-2005, 10:21 PM
Thanks , Katz !!

I'm gonna do the Port of Sac more than the Delta this fall - you're welcome to join me once I get my stupid boat squared away :roll:

See ya !

David

Hairstacker
09-25-2005, 11:00 PM
David, I'd be honored to show you a couple of spots in the Delta if you could borrow your wife's kayak and come down. . . . Just say the word, you know you're MORE than welcome to any spot I know about.

David Lee
09-26-2005, 08:59 AM
That sounds like a lot of fun , Mike .....

All except the kayak part :P . It's pretty much a given that if I fish outta that sucker , something gnarly will happen (wind will blow like hell , I'll go for a swim , etc. .....) .

I'll have to tye up some divers and more Crease flies for us to use :idea:

David