PDA

View Full Version : Rubicon River and October Caddis

chemdoc
09-23-2005, 12:54 PM
Having read several posts regarding the Rubicon reminded me that I have been wanting to venture there this fall and try my luck. In his last post Ed Wahl mentioned fishing near the bridge and parking area, but being unfamiliar with the river, I have no idea where the accesses are. I do have a streamtime map of the American, but would appreciate any suggestions of public access areas good for fly fishing and how to get there..

On another note, I hear a lot about October caddis and Ed mentioned it being a hot fly on the Rubicon this week. Is it generally a good choice anywhere in the Sierras this time of year, and if so, what sizes would you recommend?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and information.

Phil

Rob
09-23-2005, 06:04 PM
My boys and I have fished the Rubicon a lot over the years.
Not a lot of big fish but every now and then you get a 14''+.
The Rubicon is good anywhere from Hellhole Res.above Goergtown down to Oxbow res. below Foresthill. We Did see Some Oct Cad. come out one evening at dark. The next day we used a Large stimulator with a orange body and we each had a 30 fish + day. All small fish but a ton of fun. :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/rgkempton/Flyfishing/Dscn0036.jpg

Take Care
-Rob

Ed Wahl
09-24-2005, 06:24 AM
take wentworth springs road out of Georgetown, that's main street, past stumpy meadows res. turn left at the sign for hell hole and french meadows, that's eleven pines road.Ellicotts bridge on the rubicon is at the bottom of the canyon.You can't drive down the access road so park anywhere past the bridge.This time of year almost every foothill stream has october caddis coming off, a ten or twelve orange stimulator works just fine. I'll be going up on sunday or monday myself for an overnighter, let me know if you want in on it.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-24-2005, 06:43 AM
Lots of those Sierra streams should be better this Fall because we had good water all summer.

chemdoc
09-24-2005, 07:22 AM
Thanks for the info everyone. Can you use the October caddis anytime during the day as you can with EH caddis, or do they only work later in the day when they are hatching?

Rob
09-24-2005, 05:52 PM
We fished all day from sunrise to sunset.

Here is a photo from Ellicotts bridge.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/rgkempton/Flyfishing/Dscn0043.jpg

A photo up river from the bridge.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/rgkempton/Flyfishing/sharpenedphotocody.jpg

aaron
10-13-2005, 06:47 PM
Im hoping to explore the area next weekend and hopefully do some camping. Does anyone know of any campgrounds in the area? Thanks in advance.
-aaron 8)

Ed Wahl
10-14-2005, 05:33 AM
there are campgrounds at stumpy meadows lake on the way up, don't know if they're open or not. Primitive camping, that is, with no facilities, can be done at the river, you'll see the trails at each end of the bridge. In Eldorado natl. forest right now you can't drive off of the signed roads, so you have to carry your gear in to whatever site you choose.As long as you keep your car on an official road you can car camp anywhere you want.

Ed Wahl
10-20-2005, 10:19 AM
Hey Chemdoc and Aaron, we're going to be at the Rubicon this weekend doing some litter pick-up, also at some nearby creeks. If you want to meet up just let me know & we'll work it out. Litter pick-up shouldn't take too long so I'll have the rest of the day to fish.

chemdoc
10-20-2005, 03:16 PM
That sounds great Ed, but we are visiting friends in Lake Tahoe this weekend. Let us know how the fishing is, as I would still like to get up to the Rubicon. I wasn't sure how it fishes later in the fall, but reading posts from you and Rob it has been good earlier. I would like to get out there for a day sometime in the next couple of weeks if you think it will still be worthwhile.

Phil