PDA

View Full Version : My Baja trip update -

David Lee
09-21-2005, 06:36 PM
Hi guys , thought I'd let everyone know what's up ....

We are booked , and have airline tickets for December 8th thru the 15th (EIGHT DAYS !!!!!!!!!!!!! :twisted: ) , airfare came out to $400. a person R/T , and Hotel Punta Colorada for two was under $700. !! I hope it isn't un-pukka to talk about the prices - I am more than a little suprised at how inexpencive everything is turning out to be ..... Looks like I'll have more $$$ for Beer and goodies for my friends here :idea:

I swear to God , I'm gonna blow a gasket sitting here waiting .... :roll: . We are the first people booked in December , so the hotel gave us the mother of all deals . Haven't yet started tying for the trip (like the fish give a squirt if the epoxy goes yellow ....) , but will start on the first of over 500 bugs this weekend . Reels are cleaned , rods are polished , lines are rigged ... everything is falling into place . Barring death , or incarceration , we will be there :thumbsup:

Did Leopards at spot 'X' last weekend , tide was super low - only landed two on bait . For a change .... I'll PRACTICE CASTING for the next three months , as so not to have a hand/wrist/elbow go lame on this trip (like a sore hand is gonna stop me now :twisted: ) .

Still accepting 'buddy' flies from any and all - and remember to let me know what anyone would like me to bring back for them (no , Darian .... I cannot smuggle Bonita Nativas back thru customs , tempted though I am to .....) .

:mrgreen: David :mrgreen:

Hairstacker
09-21-2005, 07:55 PM
David, really happy to hear everything is falling into place. I can hear the excitement in your post. 8) 8) 8) 500 flies, eh? :shock: On the other hand, I guess you wouldn't want to be standing there wishing you had brought yet another pattern, ha. I shall commence tying buddy flies immediately!

Tony Buzolich
09-21-2005, 08:05 PM
Okey, I'll bite. I even looked under google for a decent explanation but only variations of native plants came up.

So what is this "Bonita Nativas"? :?

Is this kind of like Hawaiian Pakalolo? :nod:
TONY

Hairstacker
09-21-2005, 08:09 PM
Tony, uh, I believe the term is roughly translated as, "young, cute native females." :twisted:

jbird
09-21-2005, 09:39 PM
David
I know exactly how you feel. We planned our baja trip way in advance, and the wait was brutal to say the least. Tying flies while the clock ticked kept me excited. Especially since I really enjoy tying baitfish patterns. Its a nice change from tying nothing but "bugs". I probably brought 500 flies too. But it was a good thing I brought my vice and supplies. We didnt have enough of the flies that were getting torn apart. Heres a sample of what I was tying for east cape. I cant remember for sure, but I dont think I used a single one of these.lol

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v283/jbird35/DSC01595.jpg

Darian
09-21-2005, 10:16 PM
Wow!!!!! 500 flies :shock: :shock: :shock: Guess you gotta cover the Sierra fishin', tho..... :? Get a bunch of wire leader materials, too. 8) 8)

I'll tell ya David, No Bonita Nativas, no buddy flies..... :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

David Lee
09-21-2005, 10:30 PM
Mike S. - I shall include one #2 red/white Taps Bug ..... and I will think of you when I tye it on . I have your 'overseas' gift in mind , but if you would like anything specific .... let me know .

Tony - Bonita Nativa= Beautiful native woman . Darian and I share the same taste in native fauna ( it's the least I can do for a friend .....) . Is there anything I can bring you from south of the border ??

JBird - You tye some SAVAGE flies !!! Are those little ones the red pelagic crabs ?? They all look GOOOOOOOD !!!! Please , tell me about your last trip - :idea:

Mr. Calhoun - a dozen of your Baja Sardinas , #2-#1/0 , no longer than two inches , would find some time in the water .... I will do what I can to bring you a 'playmate' , though I get to witness the pre-nup :twisted: :roll: :P . You should come down w/ us , it would be a SCREAMMMMMMM !!!!!!

I wonder if I'll come back AT ALL - :idea: :twisted: :idea: :twisted: :idea: :twisted: :idea: :twisted:

David

jbird
09-22-2005, 07:22 PM
David

Heres a link to the report from our trip. I posted it at my "home" board when we got back. J

http://p076.ezboard.com/fsouthernoregonflyfishing16217frm9.showMessage?top icID=559.topic

David Lee
09-22-2005, 09:59 PM
Thanks for the follow-up , JBird .

Ladyfish , Pompano , and Sierra look like they'd be SCREAMERS on the 7 wt. - I ask for so little out of life , ya know ......??

Again , great stuff ! Thanks for sharing it with us !

Malo Gringo :twisted:

sculpin
09-23-2005, 08:44 AM
David
Punta Colorado is in the center of Rooster fish alley for the East Cape. I have had some great fishing from the point the hotel sits on in the past when I was a gear fisherman but not for Roosters. If you have the time walk the sand beaches towards the light house or drive to the lighthouse. When we were there 10am to 4pm was best because you can see in the water the best. Stay as elevated as possible and keep your eyes peeled. If the water is stirred up keep an eye on the tops of the swell,the Roosters seem to like to surf and the jacks seemed to like it in the trough along the shore line. Be prepared to run like ,Jbird mentioned. I haven't fished the beaches west of the hotel but hear they can be very good as well.
Punta Colarado is out by itself and night life will be non existant without a car. If you do drive into town and drive at night go very slow and be careful. Every thing wakes up in Baja at night and likes to hang around on the road. Cows,horses.pigs goats,ect.

Mark

David Lee
09-23-2005, 03:43 PM
David
Punta Colorado is in the center of Rooster fish alley for the East Cape. I have had some great fishing from the point the hotel sits on in the past when I was a gear fisherman but not for Roosters. If you have the time walk the sand beaches towards the light house or drive to the lighthouse. When we were there 10am to 4pm was best because you can see in the water the best. Stay as elevated as possible and keep your eyes peeled. If the water is stirred up keep an eye on the tops of the swell,the Roosters seem to like to surf and the jacks seemed to like it in the trough along the shore line. Be prepared to run like ,Jbird mentioned. I haven't fished the beaches west of the hotel but hear they can be very good as well.
Punta Colarado is out by itself and night life will be non existant without a car. If you do drive into town and drive at night go very slow and be careful. Every thing wakes up in Baja at night and likes to hang around on the road. Cows,horses.pigs goats,ect.

Mark

Hi Mark - thanks for jumping in with more info !!

I think there will be a few small Roosters on the beach in December , at least I hope they are SMALL . I'm on fire to get some Ladyfish and Sierra , and hope a few Pompano are still around . Most people kind of snicker when I talk about going that far to catch 'small' inshore fish ..... but you want what you want , right ??

As far as running after fish .... my legs are in pretty good shape , if I do say so myself . What were the best lines you two used off the beach ? Did you catch many fish blind-casting ?? Which direction does the wind come out of most of the time ??

My 'night-life' will be eating dinner , then , going out at dusk w/ the 10 wt. and #30 lb. tippets tyed to BIG BLACK 4/0 SILICLONES :twisted: - I think a few large Cabrilla/Groupers/Pargo should wander inshore under the cover of darkness ...... maybe one will make a big mistake :twisted: :idea: :twisted:

Thanks again for your input - have a good one !!

David :D

jbird
09-23-2005, 05:08 PM
David

Without a doubt the best line for the job is a clear Int. tarpon line. I am liking shooting heads less and less all the time. We had them for our trip and it was a constant experiment in running lines to keep our cursing under control. The guys we met that had the rooster fishing down to a science were using tarpon lines with no stripping basket. They would wander/run down the beach with 70' of line trailing behind. It was very effective. The problem that kept occuring with a stripping basket was if you didnt cast for 10 minutes or so, your line would dry out in the basket and be all stuck together in a tangled wad when you made your next cast. And with roosterfishing, every cast is critical, especially the first one to a sited fish. There are applications for a stripping basket, but chasing roosters on a sandy beach isnt one of them..IMHO.

There can be a pesky north wind during the winter months...enough so that it becomes windsurfing heaven. If your in a North wind weather pattern, you may be limited to fishing mornings, before it starts to howl. I dont think your crazy at all to wanna chase ladyfish and sierra. Heck, the ladyfish saved our trip, they were a blast! Bring your tyger wire for the sierras. We also encoutered pompano, You can spot them by looking for a huge silver flash slowly moving just offshore. They travel in a tight school making them look like one big, silver fish. Observe the direction the school is moving and cast a bonefish type pattern several feet in front of them and let it sink, when the fish reach your fly give it some short lttle pulls for a guaranteed hookup to one of these little powerhouses. I used a little pink shrimp for em.

It gets me fired up talking about it....I wanna go back!

Jbird

Hairstacker
09-23-2005, 06:17 PM
Pompano? Sounds like those Cactus Charlies would be PERFECT. . . .

David Lee
09-23-2005, 06:55 PM
Pompano? Sounds like those Cactus Charlies would be PERFECT. . . .

Hey Mike -

6 in pink and 6 in tan would be nice !!

Really , though ...... I'll have enough shit w/ me to open Kienes fly shop SOUTH :shock: . Of course , I'm sure I'll forget something critical along the way , but I'll make-do none the less !

Just watch - it'll storm , the water will get mucho-cold , and the wind will scream at 50 MPH ...... Then , I'll have to stay drunk for 8 days next to the swimmin' pool :P

YEAH , RIGHT :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

David

Hairstacker
09-23-2005, 07:20 PM
David, make a list. Seriously. And don't forget to put rods and reels on the list. :lol:

sculpin
09-23-2005, 08:22 PM
David
If you will be there a while get a car. If the wind blows it isn't far to Los Frailes which is out of the wind . Most of the times I have been to the East Cape have been in late winter and North winds are a fact of life. Mornings are usually fine but after that you need to find some protected water.
I love the Lady fish and just about any other fish there. You may find some Porgys and croakers in December as well.The problem with using light gear there to fit the fish you think you are going to catch is you never know when a toad will show up. I have hooked fish on gear off the beach that today I still have no idea what they were. I just know I couldn't stop them with 30lb mono.

Mark

David Lee
09-23-2005, 08:29 PM
David, make a list. Seriously. And don't forget to put rods and reels on the list. :lol:

:shock: OMG :shock: !!!

Did I ever tell you the story of my trip to Redding about 8 years ago ????

I tyed , and tyed , and tyed ...... had a PILE of bugs , right ?? SO - I get everything ready , pack-up , and head north to my Dad's place . We visit , then , off to the Pit :twisted: !!

I get there , rig up , and go to select a bug .......

GUESS WHAT I FORGOT TO PACK IN MY BAG -

That's right !! My huge , full fly box !!!!!! Left it sitting on my bench , like a dummy :o

My X-girlfriend , Mary , Fed-exed it to me the next day (she was good for something on occasion.......) . SO - with fly box in hand , I head off to Gilman road on the lower McCloud . Stop on the bridge , rig up , and off to the Trout .

Hook one , fish about 50 yards of water .... snag -

Go to tye on new bugs ...... NO FLY BOX :x :roll: :twisted: :shock:

After loading my waders in a rabid panic , I hike back to the bridge ....

GUESS WHAT I LEFT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD ?????

David the IDIOT :P :oops: :o :P

David Lee
09-24-2005, 05:47 PM
David
If you will be there a while get a car. If the wind blows it isn't far to Los Frailes which is out of the wind . Most of the times I have been to the East Cape have been in late winter and North winds are a fact of life. Mornings are usually fine but after that you need to find some protected water.
I love the Lady fish and just about any other fish there. You may find some Porgys and croakers in December as well.The problem with using light gear there to fit the fish you think you are going to catch is you never know when a toad will show up. I have hooked fish on gear off the beach that today I still have no idea what they were. I just know I couldn't stop them with 30lb mono.

Mark

Mark -

I'm pretty prepaired for the 'worst-case' stuff .... it'll be tough being there if it blows , but I've been blown off the water in most of the state here , so I'll deal with it .... nothing's perfect , right ??

I have discovered that LC-13/T-14 and mono runners will buck ANY breeze up to 40MPH - it isn't fun , but at least I can fish if it gets grim . Of course , I'll pack the Flak jacket and hardhat lest I boo-boo and 'WrapnSlap' my tender self 8-[

Both you and JBird have really gotten me going , the storys of ladyfish , Roosters , and Pomps have me ITCHIN' to get there . Fantastic photos of your last trip , by the way !! I plan to document every day w/ a journal and photos , so everyone can check it out .

Thanks again !!

David

jbird
09-24-2005, 09:13 PM
David

Its a wonderful place to be, on and off the water. With a little recourcfulness, you can find some finny critters to play with.

The beach and lc13/t14 can be a problematic combo. most of the ambush predators look up to attack, youll have a tough time keeping a leadcore line in the upper water column, no matter how fast you strip. the pompano will like it tho.

jbird

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-28-2005, 09:08 AM
The reports you see weekly here under Salt Water are from Gary Graham who has 'Baja On The Fly' down in that same area. His web site has lots of good info.

Andy Guibord and Jim Christensen at our shop have both hosted trips to Punta Colorado Resort. They really like that place and many of our customer do too.

I think it is nice down there all the time but the guides they fished with like any time between June through November.

I heard the snorkeling is wonderful right at the resort.

Jay Murakoshi
09-28-2005, 11:48 AM
Ok, I'll chime in and give you my thoughts about the area. I have visited Punta Colorada a number of times but in the months of October and November. I try to steer away from the later months due to the north winds and cooler water BUT that's not to say you won't catch a "Record Rooster".
If you're going to be on foot, I would spend sometime fishing north side of the hotel in the rocks. I think it was the third point that we found some good fishing but the points in between weren't slouch holes either. There were alot of pomps, mex. lookdown, lady fish and some cabrilla. We did get some decent size roosters from the beach area around the hotel. As a matter of fact, right at the bottom of the stairs from where you catch your shuttle boat in the mornings, we had a 24lb rooster caught within 40' from the beach. The south side of the hotel was the best fishing for the roosters, jacks, lady fish and sierra's. It was amazing to see a few hundred lady's daisy chainning within 70' from our position on the beach.
If you hooked on and dropped it, another one would come along and pick up the fly. Love the way they run and jump like tarpon.

The flies we were using was of course the SHB Sardina pattern, small surf candies and some decievers. The rods I was using were 7 and 8 wts. but it could get tough throwing into a wind. I don't use panga's anymore at Punta Colorada due to the fact the way they launch from the beach and transfer. We had a couple people launched and I didn't feel like getting a law suit on some else's behalf. I planned on a beach group this year in October but knee surgery is keeping me home.

I would prefer fishing the Las Arenas/Cerralvo Island area anyday. Better fishing waters, more structure to fish - if that's your game and shorter boat rides to the fish. And like this year, we had the bait there, where as the East Cape area was scratching for bait everyday.

Just my opinion and 2 cents worth

Jay