PDA

View Full Version : Delta Report - 9/21/05

Hairstacker
09-21-2005, 04:08 PM
Fished the Delta today in my inflatable kayak for a few hours. Started out fishing for largemouths on top but only got a few hits and no hookups, so switched to an olive woolly bugger and then a Clouser. Nada.

I switched back to a size 2 red/white Tap's Bug (topwater deerhair bass bug) and was getting a few hits here and there but no hookups when I noticed a big school of fish (I assume shad) boiling the surface in a circle about 6 feet across in a frenzy to get away from what had to be a very aggressive predator. I thought it had to be a striper, so I tossed my Tap's Bug right into the middle of the boiling fish. I started working it back very actively when, BLAM!, fish on! My 5 wt. rod bent over double and my reel started singing, "Haaa-lle-lu-yah, Halleluyah, Halleluyah!" Ok, maybe it didn't sing like that, but it did make a GLORIOUS noise as the fish ran and stripped out line. He made 3 more runs before I finally brought him to hand, a nice clean 19" striper. I know, nothing special, but just a blast on a 5 wt. rod. After measuring him, I admired him for just a moment, released him and kicked into high gear.

I continued to see similar boils of baitfish up and down the slough and I proceeded to plaster the area with my Tap's Bug, bringing it back each time with a ruckus. I ended up missing 4 other stripers on the surface, including one that caused a topwater explosion that almost gave me a heart attack. Alas, it was time to leave before it ended. :cry:

While I was there, I also saw a turtle, a great big white/cream-colored owl, and a couple of egrets that were watching the water where all the action was. It was definitely another fun day on the Delta. And memorable, given that was my first striper caught on a surface fly. A Tap's Bug no less. 8) 8) 8)

Darian
09-21-2005, 04:15 PM
Hey Mike,..... Man, you hit 'em good!!!!.... On top, yet. Doesn't get much better than that. The weather must be turnin' things on.... Whadja say the name o' that slough was :?: :?: (hee, heee....)

David Lee
09-21-2005, 06:06 PM
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Well done !! Now ...... switch to that Crease-fly , fish it so hard it SPITS all over the surface - also try throwing to the OUTSIDE of the bait . It takes longer for the Shad or whatever to spook and sound that way .

I hope this is the beginning of a RED HOT fall for you down there !! Move up to your new 8 wt. , also .... sooner or later , somethink HUGE will find your bug ...... Use enough gun 8)

Where's the photos ????

David

SullyTM
09-21-2005, 06:11 PM
Yeah Mike, where's the photos? Unlessof course your camera is at the bottom of the Delta :lol: Ahhhh, Wednesday? Don't you work boss? Betcha you were the only angler out there? Hmmmm, Mr Mayor I think it's time...

David Lee
09-21-2005, 06:42 PM
Actually , Thom ....

'Stacker deep-sixed his digi on our last Bass trip - also killed my 4 wt. (I did , not him .) .

Name the date (prefer a weekend , if ya can ...) - I'll put things in motion .

David

Hairstacker
09-21-2005, 07:45 PM
Yeah, I'm really disappointed not to have any photos to share but, as David said, my digital camera was complete toast after our last smallmouth/spotted bass fly fishing trip -- drying it out didn't help either. :? Hope to replace it in a week or two.

I think a Crease-fly would have been killer, since it darts like a fleeing baitfish. I was tickled, though, to have 'em go after a Tap's Bug.

And yeah, I was the only angler out there. Excellent use of annual leave, ha. So, where you guys headin'?

09-21-2005, 09:00 PM
OH! Man! You should have had HOT LIPS with you. She would have torn them up. Hey David where are they???

David Lee
09-21-2005, 10:11 PM
OH! Man! You should have had HOT LIPS with you. She would have torn them up. Hey David where are they???

:roll: Cool your suedes , Sturmer ..... they're coming pretty quick . Just as soon as I have time to compile them ..... they're out .

By the way , Mike - I soaked my Bushnell binoculars on my last trip to the Port ( the 'Ass over teakettle ' bit in the 'Yak) . One lens fogged up pretty bad , so I put 'em in a ziplock bag w/ a silica gel-pack in the sun . A few days later ..... no more fog !! 8)

How about Hairstacker , SullyTM , Sturmer , and me getting together on a pond somewhere soon ....????? or leopards :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

David

Hairstacker
09-22-2005, 04:55 PM
Well, I'm game for a get together on a pond somewhere soon. :D

David Lee
09-22-2005, 10:22 PM
The ball's in your court , Big Thom .

Plan now or suffer through another long , cold , crappy winter :twisted: :idea: :twisted:

We could all float-tube the Port ..... or , there's this SECRET POND I know about .................... :unibrow: :ninja: :drool: :twisted:

Or we could just cook/eat/tye/drink ......... :arrow: 8)

David

SullyTM
09-23-2005, 06:45 AM
...the ball's in my court? Have you ever seen me dribble? Geez, talk about pressure. I'll start the fast break by asking if a Sunday is OK? I don't usually work on the Sabbath, and I don't watch football, but I'll fish.

My weekends are booked through Ocotber 9....THE JOB! Without committing I might be able to do Sunday October 16 or 23. It's the best I can do. I don't have a float tube and have never tubed...maybe a Secret Spot would be best?

...I'll get back to ya all. Thom

09-23-2005, 06:22 PM
Hey guys
I like the get together idea. When you set a date let me know and I will check my calender.It looks reel iffy for October. Oct. 8th. & 9th I will be at the Salmon festival and I have fishing dates for the 5Th. 13th.18th.20th.29th.planned already. How about The San Louis Forebay.
Love thoes Stripers.

Jay Murakoshi
09-23-2005, 08:15 PM
Hey Strummer,

Ya looking to fish the forebay? Let me know when. As soon as my knee heals from the surgery, I'm heading over there to wet a line. It's been fishing pretty good, I just got off the phone with a buddy of mine who was there last week. I'm looking to fish the big lake also.

Just let me know.

Jay

David Lee
09-23-2005, 08:36 PM
You stay off that gimpy leg untill it gets better , Jay -

Fish will wait , trust me .

David :D