PDA

View Full Version : Fished the American...

Eric Ryan
09-21-2005, 08:32 AM
Kathleen, Jeff, Truman, and I fished the American yesterday evening. We were going for the elusive "half pounders" a half mile upriver from the Fair Oaks foot bridge. We walked too far (being the first time out at this area), and ended up fishing the flats upriver from the good looking riffles (we'll go there next time). We caught 3 brook trout??? about 6 to 8 inches in length near shore in slight riffles. I've caught a lot of rainbows, but these were trout with light magenta sides and pokadots. Are there brook trout in the American? Anyway, the one I caught on a hand tied light, sparkle tail caddis was my first fish on the American! Gotta start somewhere! BTW all the living caddis out there are dark brown. Just to let you know what I have seen.

Eric

Adam Grace
09-21-2005, 08:34 AM
Eric, those are juvenile steelhead.

Eric Ryan
09-21-2005, 08:53 AM
Wow!!! I've now caught my first Steelhead!!!
Thank's Adam!

JJohnson
09-21-2005, 09:02 PM
Sadly, your "juvenile steelhead" are about 1/2 inch smaller than the average American adult... for a rush, hit the Rogue River before November, read Langenbech's posts, and enjoy a real steely. Good Hunting!

JJohnson
09-21-2005, 09:03 PM
Sadly, your "juvenile steelhead" are about 1/2 inch smaller than the average American adult... for a rush, hit the Rogue River before November, read Langenbech's posts, and enjoy a real steely. Good Hunting!