PDA

View Full Version : Can we eat them?.....

Katz
09-20-2005, 02:46 PM
A question inspired by General Page and Salmon. Does anyone know how many toxins build-up in Delta Striper? I rarely keep fish, but Striper is fantastic! I have been told to only eat a few, and not to keep any over a certian size because of toxin concentration, etc. Any thoughts appreciated.

Katz

Darian
09-20-2005, 05:37 PM
Hey Katz,.... I believe that there're health warnings for eating stripers caught anywhere (delta, rivers/ocean).... 8) The warnings are not a total prohibition but do suggest limitations for consumption. 8)

Stripers have a lengthy life span and over that span, gain a lot of weight and size. Most of the toxin's mentioned in health warnings build up (are cumulative) in the fatty tissues of all fish but more so in long lived fish like stripers. :( :( Hairstacker covered this in his post under the topic you mentioned..... 8) Just as a common sense thing, I wouldn't recommend keeping any large Striper as they don't taste very good, anyway. :wink: The best eating fish are in the 4-8 lbs range. But, even these fish should be eaten only in the quantities mentioned in the warnings (Unless, of course, you wish to glow in the dark :lol: :lol: )

Hairstacker
09-21-2005, 03:45 PM
Yep, I agree with Darian, I would definitely limit your intake of stripers. I suspect some would recommend you not eat any due to toxins but a meal per month is probably not excessive. Children and women of child-bearing age shouldn't eat them at all. If you do eat them, stick with the smaller fish like Darian said.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-29-2005, 08:14 AM
Many will eat the Stripers from New Hogan Reservoir southeast of Sacramento, CA. The water there is much cleaner than the delta, bays and rivers. Plus they seem to be stunted with most around 4-6 pounds so the limit allows you to take more fish........5 fish...I think?

I think there are other clean reservoirs with land-locked Stripers in CA.

Tony Buzolich
09-29-2005, 09:11 AM
Stripers are really great eating and one of my favorite. Last year my wife and I spent a couple of months at Sugar Barge and had striper a couple of times a week. Makes great fish tacos, cioppino, etc. :D

We only kept the smaller legal fish so as to minimize the mercury but my wife says I still glow in the dark. :^o

Anyway, Lake Mendocino is starting to bust loose with stripers as well.
TONY