PDA

View Full Version : Salmon Board

Jonas
09-20-2005, 10:54 AM
Bill,

Have you thought about adding a salmon message board?

Darian
09-22-2005, 12:33 PM
Hmmmm,... Doesn't seem that there's much interest in a separate heading/Board for Salmon.... :? :? How about adding Salmon to the Steelhead heading/board :?: :?: :?:

Tony Buzolich
09-22-2005, 06:59 PM
I think that's agreat idea. Combine the two.

For the most part they're in the same river systems and even overlap some of the same runs, and take some of the same flies too.

Good idea,
TONY

David Lee
09-22-2005, 09:41 PM
How about a Salmon/Shad board ??

When one run is done , the next starts (don't nit-pick , they're close enough ....) .

Or maybe a Leopard Shark board ......???? :P

David :mrgreen: :D :mrgreen: :D

PaulC
09-22-2005, 10:20 PM
Hey David,
Just curious on the leopard shark action up north.
Do you find them milling around more in the spring/early summer like we do down south?
I have no feel for how the water temps up there afffect things, but it seems sometimes you can find large groups of them down south cruising around soon as the water temp picks up. Most of the productive spots seem to be where an outlet dumps into the ocean.
I've only had one fair hooked sight casting, most have been blind hook ups. Out of curiosity, what are you throwing? Clousers, brown/dark patterns, etc?
I seem to have more takes using a brown surf rat or something dark in color which kinda goes against the whole orange shark fly deal.
-Paul

David Lee
09-22-2005, 10:38 PM
Hi there , Paul !

Four trips and ONE Shark do not make me the guy to ask :oops: .

I fish them from late spring thru fall - temp doesn't seem to matter so much , clariity does matter . Three feet is good , five is better ...... I think we want 'happy' sharks - I have thrown at a bunch and it seems that it takes a non-dour fish to eat . I like to fish a bright (1/0 Chart/white Clouser) , or something real dark (Black Bonsai) - contrast can't hurt too much .

Keep in mind - I am not fishing the surf - small estuarys on the first half of the incoming tide seem to have the most Leopards , therefore the best shots at finding one that will eat . Let me know if you have a chance to get up this way ..... you drive , I'll guide/cook/bartend/etc. ....... A better deal you will not find .

David

flygolf
09-22-2005, 10:41 PM
Hey David, I haven't forgot about your offer either and plan on taking you up on it.

Hairstacker
09-22-2005, 11:19 PM
Flygolf, there is NO better deal in fly fishing than being guided by David for free. You will learn a ton. Don't let it pass, you will regret it!

SullyTM
09-23-2005, 07:47 AM
...I second Hairstacker's comment regarding Master Lee. He is a great host, ON and OFF the H20. I'm an inexperienced fly angler, especially on Sacramento Area waters. David has made me a better fly guy and picture taker :lol: (inside joke).

...and if you're hungry, his Quick and Easy BBQ finishes off the day \:D/

JJohnson
09-23-2005, 02:15 PM
Bill, please do add a salmon board - there is plenty of interest out here, and please DO NOT combine it with steelhead, as they are, in fact, similar but very different fishes requiring very different techniques and having very different holding patterns... thanks very much!