PDA

View Full Version : Feather River Ups and Downs

Tony Buzolich
09-19-2005, 06:44 PM
What a difference a day can make. Have you heard that before? One day they're here, the next day they're gone.

Normally, I try to never fish on weekends. Just too many people trying to enjoy the same things I do every day.

This past weekend I made an exception as a special request for a fellow and his girlfriend. They only had the weekend off and just had to do it then.

I took off work a little early picked up my clients at 4:00pm Sat. afternoon. Both were experienced fly casters and placed their shot well but not a bite was to be had. Lots of caddis coming off the water as well and trout jumping everywhere, but we were here for salmon.

The next morning, 5:00am. I meet with up with my new friends again. We're on the water by 6:00am. and as expected, there are already 6-8 spin guys pounding one of my favorite runs. We move to another less desireable riffle with no success. I move my people several more times throughout the morning with equal lack of success and continually keep trying some of my favorite spots that have already been hit other fisherman.
One foul hooked whiteface was the net result of a solid day and a half fishing for two people.
Was it the full moon? Was it the crowds? Who knows?

This morning, Monday, I was a bit skeptical to take out another two clients. I didn't want a repeat of the day before.

We arrived at my first run only to be greated by four other spin guys who were just leaving. At least it wasn't 6-8 guys.

We'll give it a try anyway and move slightly upstream from were they had been.

Unbeknownst to me, I find out that my first client had never cast a fly rod before except once at an ISE show. :( Uummph! No problem. As good a time as any to learn.

With a little instruction and gentle coaxing I get him to make a decent roll cast and within the next few tries he hooks up. Yahoo, :P Now what?

We land his first fish on a fly, about an 18lb. salmon.

Yahoo again, I got rid of that skunk.

We proceed to hit several more riffles and holes and what a great day today turned out to be. At least a dozen hookups and five bright fish landed.

I know I keep saying this about bright chrome fish coming in but I hope these pictures will help with my credibility.

They don't get any brighter than these,
TONY
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b320/buzolich/BobBradburyemail.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b320/buzolich/BobBradburyKenTayloremail.jpg

NorCalFlyGuy
09-20-2005, 05:47 AM
quick question......is it wise to eat salmon caught in any of the rivers that flow from the Sacramento?

all the polution, mercury tailings from the old gold operations, etc would make the fish toxic, no???

in any event, you guys had a helluva day :shock:

Tony Buzolich
09-20-2005, 06:37 AM
Hi Norcal,

The salmon that re-enter the river system have spent 90% of their life in the ocean. If the ocean is toxic then I'd have to agree with your concern.

But realize too that when the salmon return from the sea, they stop eating as soon as they enter the fresh water. There are some pollutants everywhere but if the salmon are not eating, then they are not ingesting the toxins into their body mass.

I think most salmon that return naturally are very clean and healthy compared to the farm raised salmon that are fed artificial food laced with all kinds of toxic additives. Even the surrounding areas around these pen raised fish are becoming polluted and diseased with increased numbers of parasites growing from the unnatural food the fish are being fed.

Once in a while when river conditions are poor, then all fish living in it suffer. Such was the case on the Klamath last year with gil rot developing from low warm water conditons.

Fish that spend a good part of their life IN the river systems do ingest lots of toxins. These toxins (mercury and others) are cummulative and increase with the age of the fish in it's body mass. Such is the case with striped bass and the warnings that Fish & Game puts out in its regulations.

Probably toooooo much info here :D

Ever try BBQ'd salmon marinated in teriyaki with a little wasabi ? :P

TONY

NorCalFlyGuy
09-20-2005, 12:37 PM
I think part of that may be wishful thinking, but I appreciate your long reply

even so, you ought to get yourself tested for toxins (it's an easy test, just ask your physician at the next physical) just to be sure

Darian
09-20-2005, 02:35 PM
If I can "chime in" here.... I agree with Tony. River Salmon may have some degree of contamination in them. It is clearly not as much as resident fish or stripers that spend a large amount of time, either in the delta or rivers, outside of salt water. To my knowledge, Stripers don't go to sea for years, as Salmon/Steelhead do, before Spawning.....

At any rate, there is still some contamination present. So, the question for me is; how much and what type of toxins are present :?: :?: Nothing I've read indicates that clean Salmon taken in rivers are unsafe to eat entirely.... 8) 8) Even some of the resident fish are safe to eat in limited quantities.... 8) 8) 8)

I rarely eat Salmon/Steelhead caught in rivers as they taste like algae or acquire a muddy taste that I don't detect in ocean or "troll" caught Salmon.... :( Gotta admit I haven't had one smoked, yet. :?

Next time you get a clean one try either grilling or sauteeing it in Liliko'i Butter, fresh chopped Basil and chopped Macadamia nuts. Cook until the sauce carmelizes and then serve with the sauce poored over the top. put the remaining chopped basil on top. Serve with a good white wine. MMM, MMM.... Good dish 8) 8) 8)

Hairstacker
09-20-2005, 03:02 PM
Actually, I believe salmon is considered one of the safest fish to eat. I'm not so sure it has anything to do with whether they've spent many years in the ocean -- swordfish, king mackerel, shark, and tuna, which spend their entire lives in the ocean, are considered some of the riskiest fish to consume. (In fact, I believe the State of California recommends swordfish not be consumed at all, even though it is commonly sold in supermarkets.) Probably has a lot to do with their longevity and where they sit in the food chain.

Tony Buzolich
09-20-2005, 04:51 PM
Hi Darian,
Here comes that " Lilikoi " again. Man you can use that stuff on just about about anything. :lol: :D

Hey, maybe Don Memmer will chime in with some salmon poki recipes too. It's a big thing over on the island.

Every try salmon ceviche'?
TONY

Darian
09-20-2005, 05:21 PM
Hey Tony,..... I haven't tried Salmon in a Ceviche', yet.... :? I've used things like Halibut, Sea Bass and Snapper, tho. It's all good. I'm planning on using your marinade (Teriyaki/Wasabi) soon. Gotta get more, fresh Salmon, first.... :D :D :D :D

Jeff C.
09-22-2005, 07:23 AM
Sac Hawaiian Style Salmon

Salmon fillet with 3/8-1/2 in thick layer of mayo, chopped lup cheong (chinese sausage) and sliced green onion mixture. Sprinkle course pepper on top. Wrap in foil and BBQ for 20 minutes or until done.

I've had people say it's the best way they've ever had salmon.

Jeff C.

Darian
09-22-2005, 12:41 PM
Hey Jeff,.... Your recipe really sounds good 8) but, also, has some potential to make you call the Roto-Rooter guy after eating it. Maybe a beer'll do, tho. :? :? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ueyama
09-22-2005, 07:39 PM
How about "lomi lomi salmon?" There are numerous recipes if you google it.

PaulC
09-22-2005, 09:24 PM
Speaking of cooking...here is a couple recipes I have been using:
Keep in mind..my wife is persian, so hence the spices

1) Grilled fish with sumac
-Pat filet with garlic, small amount of salt and pepper
-Liberally season with Sumac on both sides of the filet.

-Marinade in a dish with lime juice, saffron dissolved in water and a bit
of olive oil.
-Poach the fish on a bbq using a small foil basket til it just starts to fall
apart.

2) Sweet & Sour fish
-Rub both sides of fish with 1 teaspoon salt.
-stir fry 1/2 cup scallions and a few cloves garlic with 1-2 tsp oil.
-Add 1/3 cup diced dates, 1/4 cup diced apricots, 1/3 cup slivered
pistachios, 1/3 cup slivered almonds, juice of one lime, candied
orange peels, 1 tsp salt and pepper. Fry for another minute or so.
-Set the fish in a foil basket on top of the stir fried recipe.
-Pour saffron dissolved in water, juice of 2-3 limes and some olive oil
over the fish.
-Cook until it just starts flaking, flip over onto a plate leaving the
mixture on top of the fish.
-Works great for anything from halibut to salmon.

3) Saffron and Lime Fish
-Even more simple just marinade the fish in saffron water, lime juice,
diced onions and garlic.
-Add a dash of salt and pepper.
-Poach the fish on the Q or oven using the marinade as a basting
sauce.

Hope you guys like them if you try em. Saffron of course isn't that cheap here, so you can probably bypass it without losing too much of the flavor.
-Paul

Darian
09-22-2005, 10:53 PM
WOW!!!!.... Those're great recipes, all. Even tho the Saffron is expensive, it sure makes fish dishes better. Gotta keep it in. 8) 8) Just an aside, I seem to recall thru reading, a title for Sumac: Poison Sumac. Did I recall that correctly. If true, it's apparently safe in small quantities :?: :?:

Thanks everyone for stuff to try.... :D :D :D

PaulC
09-22-2005, 11:45 PM
Hey Darian,
Most Persian folks use sumac liberally on rice and other dishes.
Maybe what you are referring to is a differnt strain than what is commonly consumed? I'm still kicking after 7 years of using it as a spice.
After showing my mom some dishes, she has been using it on salad and other dishes.
Commonly it is used in a manner much like a salt/pepper mixture we would use on our dishes.
Most persian restaurants have the sumac in shakers like the peppers or parmesan cheese for use on the rice and kabob.
Adds some color and somethin different to the mix. Its great on basmati rice.
-Paul

Darian
09-22-2005, 11:48 PM
This'll give me a good reason to head out for a shoppin' spree to get some new spices.... MMM, MMM 8) 8) 8)

Hairstacker
09-23-2005, 12:09 AM
Uh, I generally don't use ingredients that have the word "poison" as part of their name. Reminder to self -- make sure to check Darian's spice box if he does camp cook duties. . . . :nod: :lol:

Darian
09-23-2005, 11:50 PM
I guess, Paul and I are both correct. Sumac, a plant found in the Middle East, produces a spice from a red berry that has a tart flavor; much like a lemon..... 8) 8)

Poison Sumac grows in swampy areas throughout the east and mid-west of the US. It has a white berry on it and will produce an allergic reaction if it comes in contact with the skin; muck like Poison Oak or Poison Ivy. :( :( :(

I found that Sumac may be ordered on-line thru the Spice House..... This stuff sounds like something I've gotta try.... 8) 8) 8)