PDA

View Full Version : What are your favorite or go to steelhead flies?

Jasonh
09-19-2005, 12:34 PM
Just curious what some of your favorite or go-to steelhead flies are. I have two, my first is a green butt silver hilton and if that doesnt work i have to go with a egg sucking purple articulated leech.

Jason Hartwick

Darian
09-19-2005, 01:18 PM
Hi Jason,.... My favorites would be dictated by the water I'm fishing. So, my rtesponse will be somewhat vague. :?

I still do some coastal rivers and find the traditional patterns (Wooly Buggers, Boss, Comets, shrimp, Skykomish Sunrise, etc.) serve me well there. 8) The colors/types of these patterns becomes expanded when I go north (Eel, Klamath, Mad, Trinity, Smith, etc.) I tend to use subdued colors up there and brighter colors below the Eureka area. Some of the additional pettrens I use up there are Silver Hiltons, Assassins, Brindlebugs, Herniators, etc. 8)

In valley rivers, I tend to fish Steelhead more like resident trout. The flies may be wooly buggers, caddis, stoneflies, leeches, egg patterns, smolts, etc. 8) :D :D

MSP
09-19-2005, 08:00 PM
Hey Jason, right now my go to fly is the Spider Hilton, but I've been throwing Brindle Bugs, Silver Hiltons, Stonefly Nymphs, Herniators, and whatever else I have in my box. Of course when I return to the valley things will change quite a bit. Fox Poopahs, Emerging BWO's and Buggers. So the answer to your question is NO I don't have a go to pattern. I believe you can only have a go to if you fish the same water all the time like Gordon does up on the Rogue, or we do on the "A". Though this also changes depending on the season :D

You getting back to Sac anytime soon? I should be in the new digs around the 15th of Oct.

BTW: saw a lot of fish today down in the Hoopa area. Did manage to hang a fish in a shallow flat but only stung it as I watched the fish swimming by and laughing at me. Hopefully things will change soon for me, the fish are in the river!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-19-2005, 09:37 PM
I think I could fish most rivers with a Silver Hilton.

Valley rivers are best fished with something like a caddis.

PatrickM
09-19-2005, 10:05 PM
I've done most of my fishing on the A with princes, fox poopah, and eggs, with the occasional bird's nest and bugger. I'm mostly nymphing though. What do you guys like to use on the A for swinging?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-19-2005, 11:27 PM
I think a #10/12 caddis pupa is pretty hard to beat.