PDA

View Full Version : Trintiy report sort of

MSP
09-16-2005, 01:02 PM
Back at it again this morning with new hope and energy. Well that wore off fairly quickly. Did see a couple of fish roll downstream of me in the first hole I fished but takers. Went back to the hole I hung the fish on Monday and there were quite a few fish rolling around, mostly Salmon but there had to be a Steelhead or two in there. Well I thought I might have had a bump starting my retrieve but other than that little smolts or rainbows or whatever they are. The spot seems to hold a lot of fish so I'm going to stay at it. Finally getting some cloud cover and a little moisture coming from up above, but not enough to make any difference yet. Oh well the saga continues Fish=1,000 Mike=0.

MSP
09-16-2005, 05:46 PM
Put the waders on for the afternoon trip, a little chilly with the rain and wind. Turned out to be a very nice afternoon. Went to the same spot I hung the fish on Monday and after about 20 minutes I got hit again in the same spot on the same fly, only a little bigger fish this time. The fish came out of the water then headed straight for me jumping not 8 feet away then turning down river. I just about had it on the reel when it took to the air again and threw the Spider Hilton right back at me. I am guessing this fish to be in the 10 - 12 pound range. Where are the 4-6 pounders that the "T" is supposed to have :shock: I did have the 7wt this time but the same result. At least I got my fly back this time. Great time on the river, did have about 6 bait guys come down and surrrounded me but heck what's a little company now and then. Things are looking up, I'm gonna get one of them suckers yet :D To be continued!

SullyTM
09-16-2005, 07:09 PM
Damn Mike! Do you need some company, or what? Are you tossing some poopahs? OK, I've got it. Call your stretch of water The Secret Spot :wink:, that should work. Keep at it. Thom

jbird
09-16-2005, 08:22 PM
Great report Mike. Steelhead fishing can be described as, hours of leisure interupted by a moment of pandemonium. That'll keep anyone young at heart.

J

MSP
09-17-2005, 07:20 AM
Just got up and looked outside, looks like a great day with cloud cover and at least 10 degrees warmer this morning than previous mornings. The wife is heading to Redding for some shopping with a friend. She asked me if I wanted to go, let's see shopping in Redding or fishing the Trinity? Well I'm going fishing. Starting to see a lot more fishermen on the river these days which indicates the fishing is starting to pick up. Hopefully I can post a report tonight that includes a pic of a fish or two. Sounds like things are starting to pick up down in the valley rivers also. Have fun out there and keep those reports coming.

Hairstacker
09-17-2005, 08:34 AM
Mike, yep, been having fun reading your reports on the Trinity, keep 'em coming! Pictures will definitely be in order tonight. :wink:

Jasonh
09-17-2005, 08:41 AM
Heck, even pictures of the water you are fishing would be cool. Hey at least if you are taking pictures of the steelhead they are going to be too big for you to hold so we wont see your famous hand for once. Just kidding! Good luck and keep the reports coming.

Jason Hartwick

Hairstacker
09-17-2005, 09:06 AM
Famous hand, ha, that is too funny Jason! Come to think of it, though, I wish my hand was as famous as Mike's. . . . :oops: :lol:

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-17-2005, 11:13 AM
Hi Mike,

You are staying in or around Willow Creek?

I don't know that water below there and down to the mouth at the Klamath but I do know that it is usually good early season, like now.

I have heard some talk about it over the past 40 years but not many.

I like a larger dark pattern in the AM like a #6/8 Silver Hilton. I do like to get on the water very early this time of year when the water and air is still not real cold.

The other pattern I like is anything with a peacock herl body. Brown hackle Peacock or the Governor.

The Governor (I tie) is a Golden Pheasant tippet tail, maybe a gold or silver tag below that. A fat peacock herl body, turkey quill wing like on a muddler and a brown wet hackle.

I like something larger (#6) in the morning that is dark and is above the fish on a floating line.

I know Herb Berton (Trinity Fly Shop) guides/fishes down there too.

He likes swinging dry muddlers on top early season. some might swing/skate/riffle hitch October Caddis adults?

You are killing me with all this. It is probably one of the 'coolest' places to be right now?

MSP
09-17-2005, 10:21 PM
Well my optimism this morning didn't pan out too well. I fished Big Rock for about an hour with no luck and no fish rolling around. Headed down river to my honey hole, if you want to call it that and met up with a couple of bait guys that didn't have any luck and promptly left the entire run to me. Up and down I went seeing a few fish rolling here and there, looked mostly like Adult Salmon and Jacks but again there had to be a Steelie in there. Got a couple of bumps swinging through the lie that I hung the previous fish on consecutive casts but then I spent the next hour and a half hitting myself in the ear, back and head slinging the 3 split shot rig with the Spider Hilton. Decided enough is enough and headed back to let the dog out and headed to a friends place to watch a couple of awsome college football games. Tomorrow is another day and I'm sure not going to miss my NASCAR race. Thanks for the advice everyone, someday it will pay off. Maybe I could take a picture of my hand dangling in front of the runs I've been fishing :D Till then!

Jasonh
09-18-2005, 07:11 AM
Ha, ha, ha Mike. Funny guy! One of these days the trinity will bless you with like five fish in one morning. You are due!

Jason Hartwick

Darian
09-18-2005, 09:58 AM
Hey Mike,.... Been following your exploits.... You have the right idea. When all else fails, go get a beer and watch some football. 8) Didja see what USC did to arkansas last night :?: :?: :?: They probably oughta be playin' in the NFL :D :D :D

MSP
09-18-2005, 06:22 PM
Yea Darian, that's exactly what I did. Yes SC looks unbeatable at the moment. Watched a couple of other great games, Notre Dame and Mich. St. and Clemson and Miami, both went overtime, couldn't switch the channels fast enough. Went out this morning for an hour or so with not much going on. We are replacing the the old dishwasher at the cabin, so I removed the old one and headed to Willow Creek for a couple of parts. The hardware store didn't open until 10:00 so I fished Big Rock. Tried to post pics of the run I've been fishing at Big Rock but I'm not having much luck uploading on FlyFishNorCal. Oh well I got the part and went to a friends house to get my NASCAR fix, watched a little NFL and got home to install the new dishwasher. All in a days work up in the woods. Will be hitting it hard starting tomorrow with new hope and energy. I can't seem to catch a Steelhead so I had the wife get me a case :D If you can't catch em buy em :shock:

Adam Grace
09-18-2005, 06:30 PM
A frosty Steelhead sounds very good right now!