PDA

View Full Version : First Bass!

mikenewman
09-14-2005, 03:06 PM
My new boat is launched and berthed at Bethel Island. However after a couple of fun filled but fishless voyages I quickly came to the conckusion that when it comes to LMB I didn't have a clue what I was doing.
Consequently, yesterday saw me afloat for an afternoon trip with Kevin Doran of Delta Adventures. All I can say is that he's every bit as good as everybody says he is: great instruction, great company and great value. Set off at 2.15 and caught my first ever bass at 3.00. Ended up with three around the 2.5lb mark and one tiddler.
For the record: 7wt rods uplined to 10wt wf floating lines! 5' 15lb straight through leaders and big deer hair bugs (Dahlberg Diver style)Retrieved with short sharp strips to create plenty of disturbance with occasional pauses. Kevin favours deer hair and ties a beautiful fly. He also recommends Lee Haskins' Gurglers.
Kevin had me pitching into seemingly impossible cover in what he calls the surge zone between the tulles/riprap and weed line. His philosophy is there's no such thing as an unfishable cast so stick it in there as far as you can. He has perfected an "upside down" cast where the fly travels in below the line on the forward cast and is ideal for piercing dense cover. (Wheras I have perfected a cast that seems to be ideal for piercing the back of my neck - tossing those big bugs in a strong breeze can be er, interesting uh?)
What struck me (apart from the fly) was that despite the heaviness of the gear this game is actually filled with subtlety and finesse- at least when watching Kevin it is!
So, I have gone from bass virgin to bass junky in one trip. I'm off to practise my spinning and stacking now 'cos my first two efforts look like an explosion in a mattress factory.
Bring on the stripers!
Mike
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a317/Mikenewman_/IMG_2587.jpg

Hairstacker
09-14-2005, 10:47 PM
Mike, way to go and thanks for sharing the pic! Nice to hear someone else out there is having fun keying in on those Delta bass with a fly rod. 8)

Adam Grace
09-14-2005, 11:05 PM
Welcome to the bass club!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-14-2005, 11:11 PM
Wow Mike..........wonderful post. Grade A

I hope more people will follow your example and take an afternoon/evening largemouth black bass fly fishing lesson from Kevin.

It is black bass time all summer and soon it will be striper and black bass time.

Richard
09-15-2005, 09:45 PM
Good going Mike. Keep it up, you'll get the hang of deer hair quickly and find what a messy blast it can be. (Don't try it in the living room unless you are single or looking for excitement around the house. :P )

I recently had my 63rd birthday so I am treating myself to another outing with KD on the 23rd. Planning to spend a little time seeing what is happening with stripers (don't expect much yet) and then on to our favorite activity - topwater for bass :D

mikenewman
09-16-2005, 07:05 AM
Richard

Kevin believes the striper action will start early and will certainly be underway by early October. I have a striper trip booked with him for 11th October which is my 50th birthday pressie to me :)
Mike

k.hanley
09-16-2005, 01:31 PM
Say Hey Mike,
Nice pic. Congrats on your first LM bass. You couldn't have asked for a better guide to get you addicted. Cheers to you and Kev for gettin' it done!
:thumbsup: Ken
PS: Don't forget the subsurface tactics as well. They'll usually work when the topwater action drops off the charts. Gotta love it all.