PDA

View Full Version : Direct Drive vs Anti-Reverse Reels

Darian
09-13-2005, 08:28 PM
I posted this on Blantons BB some time ago and generated a lively discussion. This topic is sorta related to the Large/Wide Arbor topic. I have recently (in the last year) purchased an Abel Super 12 (anti reverse) reel for Southern Baja SaltWater. 8) 8) My reasoning was that I would avoid having arthritic knuckles beat up on long runs with an anti-reverse drive reel.... :D :D All of my other fly reels are direct drive. 8)

How about it :?: :?: Which type do you guys prefer :?: :?: What circumstances would you choose one over the other :?: :?:

David Lee
09-13-2005, 08:51 PM
Direct drive , all the way .

If you're a Brain surgeon , and MUST have your hands in cuttin' shape two days later .... use the A/R reel (split fingernails could hamper your gig a bit .... :roll: ) - back here on Earth , I can't think of any reason why anyone couldn't get their hand out of the way in time to save those digits .

It only takes ONE time , gettin' your fingers whacked by a spinning handle , to keep 'em away from the handle - my first , and only time was on the Feather several years ago .... a pretty nice King .

That sucked , big-time . Funny , I haven't done it again :!:

David