PDA

View Full Version : barbless regulations

slimfishin's
09-13-2005, 04:42 PM
Was in the shop this morning buying some hooks and the discussion about barbless hooks came up. It was said that all central valley rivers containing steelhead were mandatory barbless ... That sounded unusual to me, so I checked the regs.... and that's not the case. Seems that the barbless requirement on the lower sac expires at Deschutes bridge, and the entire Feather river below HW 70 doesn't have a barbless requirement at all. Barbless requirements also expire on the American below Ancil Hoffman park, but barbed hooks are OK above Hazel Ave.... I thought it was an interesting discussion. It is also interesting to note where exactly the regulations come into effect and the potential managment goals they imply.

SF

Jasonh
09-13-2005, 04:52 PM
Even though using barbs is allowed on many stretches of these rivers, i find it easier to use bardbless hooks for a couple of reasons. They are easier to remove from skin if you hook yourself and cause less damage to the fish. I would love to see the fish and game adopt all barbless fishing in our river during salmon and steelhead season since these fisheries are already so sensitive.

Jason Hartwick

Darian
09-13-2005, 08:07 PM
Interesting that there's so much misinformation/misunderstanding about the regs floating around out there.... :? :? Of course, that's, in part, because they're so damned complex and ambiguous.... :? :? :? DFG has a staff of attorneys who write this stuff.... :ninja: I guess it can't be written in everyday English as that's ambiguous/complicated, too.... :roll:

Oh well.... :wink: :wink:

SteelieD
09-13-2005, 08:21 PM
Oh boy, you guys should see the reg book here in Washington! :( You need to be a real diligent guy to remember all the regs for all the different rivers and all the different species. Enforcment is severely lacking however. Repeat after me... Snagging Salmon is bad!! :(

Barbless always anyway. It more fun that way! :D

NorCalFlyGuy
09-13-2005, 08:44 PM
I'll cheeer when they get rid of treble hooks for good

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-13-2005, 09:49 PM
I think it is just easier to fish barbless so I don't have to worry about the regs.

slimfishin's
09-14-2005, 09:05 AM
There certainly is a safety advantage in the whole barbless thing... releasing not only the fish, but getting the hooks out of my neck, back etc... Not to mention they come out of the landing net a whole lot easier.

However, from a technical aspect, I find that when running a dropper tied to the bend of a barbless hook, I tend to lose the dropper much more frequently, as it just slips off. Is there a better way to attach a dropper to a barbless hook? Perhaps a different knot?

SF

SullyTM
09-14-2005, 10:16 AM
...wanna see my scars :roll: Barbless hooks for president! Crimp Them for Vice President! Thom

SteelieD
09-14-2005, 11:45 AM
Hey slim. There was another thread that discussed the whole dropper/barbless issue recently. I don't have the time to look for it it right now... maybe someone else can help?

Ed Wahl
09-15-2005, 05:43 AM
fish catch's angler..... on the feather last year i was landing a salmon when the hook popped out of the fish's mouth, i was pulling very hard on the 10 wt when it happened and the hook shot straight into my lower lip. :shock: since it was barbless it was just another funny incident instead of a very messy, day ruining, trip to a doctor.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-15-2005, 07:32 AM
Excellent example Ed.

Eric Ryan
09-15-2005, 07:40 AM
I'm all for barbless too! And yes I've probably lost a few fish, but the fly rod is a long rod, and easier to maintain tension on the hook at all times. And what's a few fish out of a hundred in a season? Just makes you a more alert angler. And as for loosing droppers, just tie eye to eye. I also think that it is easier to set hooks with needle sharp barbless, and they come out of storage on my hat easier.

Eric