PDA

View Full Version : Fished the American...

Eric Ryan
09-13-2005, 08:18 AM
I fished the American yesterday (12 Sept. 2005) for the first time. I fished with wadders from the access point at Illonios street off Winding Way. I used a 9 weight spey and had one grab with a large stimulator on top and a egg/fry streamer on the bottom. I believe it was a steelhead, on the fry patern. Unfortunatly, I lost it, still getting used to the LONG rod. I left around 6 pm. and people were still showing up. Earlier that day around noon, I walked over the Fair Oaks Bridge. Usually I see tons of fish there, but I only saw one very large salmon migrating upstream. I also talked to a ranger, and he said it's been sort of hit and miss, but if the weather changes... Sorry I don't have better news. Anyone?

Sincerely,
Eric Ryan
www.ryanrodco.com

Harry Massingill
09-13-2005, 01:57 PM
At least you got a hit :P . Three otters that were cruising around the holes I was fishing may have had something to do with the lack of any action. Plus, I'm a rookie at going for the steelhead. I'm going to try again this week and will post the report.

Darian
09-13-2005, 07:51 PM
Fished the American this evening after 5:30 PM below the H Street Bridge. The water is clear and fairly warm. It was breezy. In short, it should've been good. Didn't see any fish activity at all. Maybe one bump on a two fly cast of nymphs (Slims Bug/Olive Caddis Pupa).... :? :?

During the time I was there, I was reminded why the American is not my favorite river to fish..... :x :x Between people tossing whatever in the river for their dogs to retrieve (right in front of me :x ) to avoiding stepping into a zillion piles of dog turds :shock: , Carl's Jr. containers and assorted other reminders of local ecological awareness, I've decided that the Yuba isn't too bad....

Not ready to give up completely. I'm gonna try the Upper Sunrise area tomorrow (before/after my AM bike ride). 8) 8) 8)