PDA

View Full Version : There are fish in the lower Trinity!

MSP
09-12-2005, 07:34 PM
Went out this morning hoping to find something finny swimming around my favorite haunts, just a couple of 1/2 pounder rolled and then they seemed to dissapear. Decided to head down river a ways and check on a run that has been holding some nice fish. Checking it out from the cliff above I instantly saw 15 -20 adunt Steelies mulling around in the run, up the river then back down, then up and down, well you get the idea. The run is not particularly suited for a fly rod but I decided to scramble down the cliff and give it a shot. Nothing again, something I've been getting used to by now. Decided to follow a couple of guys bait fishing down river to see what it looked like around the bend. There were fish rolling up and down a beautiful run. I worked my way down the run without so much a sniff other than the little bows I've been catching the last 3 weeks. Decided to start back up at the head of the run and put on a fly an older gentleman gave me while fishing the Klamath. It has a Silver Hilton tail and body but instead of hackle wings it just had Flank feathers sparsely tied at the head, almost Spey looking. Well after about 15 minutes throwing that bug I finally got slammed by a Steehead. It wasn't the 1/2 pounder I envisioned but a bright 9 - 10 pound fish. Back and forth across the river and then it took off for the far side and then I watched it flash all the way up the riffle. The current was pretty strong and I couldn't manage to get my line out of the current. 30 yards into my backing I'm standing there wondering what to do, I was at its mercy. After 5 minutes or so it just kept going and finally busted off at the fly. I didn't mind losing the fish a bit, I was feeling pretty good that I finally found some fish. The fish continued rolling in the run, some nice Salmon, some Jacks and a Steelhead now and then. Not sure I could tell the difference in the Jack and Steelhead though. The bait guys managed 3 or 4 jacks and had on a couple of nice Salmon that came unbuttoned. All in all it was a very encouraging day and I can't wait the get back out there Wed. morning. Until next time. :D

David Lee
09-12-2005, 09:13 PM
About time they came in !!!

The fly , Mike , is called a Silver Hilton SPIDER - no silly hackle wings (that never get tyed in correctly ...) , just a collar of Mallard (or the GOLD HILTON SPIDER - gold rib , lemon Wood Duck flank collar ) .

Hope the next one finds itself in your hands ..... a Jack King or two would be nice , as well !!

Miss ya -

David

Jasonh
09-12-2005, 09:22 PM
Way to go Mike. I am glad you hooked up. Sounds like fun heart throbbing experience. Where on the river was this? Keep it up!

Jason Hartwick

Adam Grace
09-13-2005, 12:46 AM
Good job Mikey

I am jealous, I would love to go fishing but homework has kept me under house-arrest. The crazy thing is, school just started it only gets more difficult from here......pray for me guys....I'm not used to this dam homework crap....I'd rather be fishin :cry:

Keep on chasing those steelies so that I may live vicariously through you my friend.

MSP
09-13-2005, 07:28 AM
Silver Hilton Spider huh? Well there are a few more of them in my box now, I agree with the hackle wings, kind of a pain. Think I'm going to step up the equip after yesterday, not sure I could have done anything more with my 7wt but the 5wt was screaming at me, you old fool, you're supposed to catch 1/2 pounders ](*,) Jason I was a few miles down river from Big Rock or Willow Creek. Sooooooooo nice to see some fish in the river. Get ready this could be the begining of something good! Or just got lucky and stumbled on a few :eek:

jbird
09-13-2005, 10:04 AM
A 5wt is a bit light for a fish of that size, especially in fast water. It sounded like the fish ran upriver. Those are good if you can follow them, bad if you cant. Your best punch is to be confident in the amount of backing you have, and be patient. Many times if you let em go up as far as they want while you give them a fair amount of pressure, theyll eventually start dropping back down current if you keep the screws to em.

I have adopted a fighting method for steelhead that my good buddy Dave Dennis taught me. As soon as the fish takes its first rest, I stick my rod underwater, and keep it there. (this only works if the fish is downstream of me) A phenomenon occurs when you do this. The fish will begin swimming back upstream. Usually it happens so quickly, that I'm dealing with my nailknot within a couple short minutes. The problem then is the fish is right under your nose when its still very green. It'll usually explode and take off again...let it. Then do it again. The fight will be over in a surprisingly short time. I have been doing this for the last 3 years on every, single downstream runner I've hooked. I've even landed several 20#+ incidental kings on my 7wt doing this. It is a VERY uncomfortable position to be in at first and most first timers to this method dont like it at all. for me theres no other way to fight heavy current, big fish. There are, however, a few fish that dont respond to it. Less than 1 out of 50. If the fish doesnt respond to the dunked rod technique, its almost guaranteed to be foul hooked.

My theory on this is that when you get your rod tip in the water, you have your entire line underwater, creating a huge, current caused, downstream belly in your line. The fish's instinct is to swim away from the direction in which it is being pulled, which in this case, causes them to swim upstream. This is mearly an educated guess. The undeniable advantage is when the fish comes flying out of the water, youve still got line in the water for a cussion. And when the fish makes erratic direction changes, youll never encounter slack line because of the current holding your line, making it much more difficult to throw the hook. I even do this While fishing from a boat, Its a great way to bring the fish to you so you dont have to drop out of the run, which insome cases means youre finished with that run for the day, which can really bite if its the first fish youve hooked in a run you know has more.

Sorry. :oops: I know I'm new to this board, but my "home" board has already heard all my jibberish :lol:

J

SteelieD
09-13-2005, 10:38 AM
MSP... GREAT!! =D> Keep on "huntin'"!

Jasonh
09-13-2005, 04:55 PM
Mike, did you catch that fish greased line or on the swing? Hope you find a few more up there. Keep us posted.

Jason Hartwick

MSP
09-13-2005, 05:28 PM
You're right Jbird the 5wt was a little undergunned for the assignment yesterday. I was expecting 1/2 pounders and yes again the fish ran upstream not allowing me to get the belly out of my line in the fast current. I probably would have gotten it had it ran down stream, but NOOOOOOOO! Oh well I'm hoping for plenty more chances, with the news the new house probably won't be ready for 30 more days. It's a dirty job up here fishing everyday but someone's got to do it :shock:

Jason, I was fishing a long leader on a dry line with 3 split shot. Dead drifting from upstream to get it down and then letting it swing. The fish yesterday ate me right in the middle of the swing.

Gotta go hit Big Rock now and see if those fish from yesterday have made it up that far yet. Haven't fished the evening at all so I'm hoping for another chance tonight! Film at 11:00

David Lee
09-13-2005, 06:26 PM
MSP -

Shoot me a PM w/ your cabin addy , I'll send up some of my full-dress Spey flies for you to feed them fishes (I don't use them , they would look pretty nice in one of your 5,000 fly boxes ...) .

30 more days 'till you're civillized again ?!? I think most of us would sell a kidney to have 30 days on the T at this time of year - YOU SUCK :tear:

How's your Lovely doin' w/ the commute-thing ?? Please ask her how long the wine w/ the serial number will be ok -I'd hate to waste it by letting it sit too long !

Off to the coast for a concert and Leopards this weekend , hope I have more fun than you , for a change ..... :!:

David :mrgreen:

jbird
09-13-2005, 09:20 PM
It's a dirty job up here fishing everyday but someone's got to do it

I'd say it is :lol: keep the reports coming Mike. Great job

J