PDA

View Full Version : Klamath this weekend

Rick J
09-12-2005, 06:45 AM
Hit the Klamath this last Friday, Saturday and Sunday with Brett Jensen, his two sons and Mark Goodwin. Took our two jet boats and ran upriver and camped at Stumps. Did not get out on Friday until a bit after 8 and you could not find a parking spot in the boat launch. I have never seen so many people on the river. Saw Bruce on Sat morning - he is guiding for nine days up there out of the cabin on the rock (Mary Ann's). He said he ran all the way to Coon Creek Friday and on his way down, counted 48 fly fishermen between there and Metah. There were 4 camps at Stumps the first night!

To the fishing - it was pretty slow!! We had a number of half pounders but they just were not grabbing - tried floaters and fast sinking tips. Managed to hook a couple of adults but none to hand for any of us except Wes (Brett's youngest son) who is an excellent spin fisherman - he knocked the hell out of the fish with little cleos - had 2 10#+ plus salmon and probably 6 adult steelhead - biggest was over 8#'s. Kinda makes me want to rumage in my garage for the old spinning rod!

Still had a great time on the river. Mac Stuart (who had Time Flies with Larry Simpson prior to David Schachter owning it)) was up at Strumps camping Sat night with his golden retriever Dexter who swam across the river to visit us - was great to see him!! Mac hooked a nice adult Sunday morning on his old Scott G series 1004 with a prewar Hardy Perfect - you should have heard that reel sing!!!

So great trip even with few fish!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-12-2005, 08:24 AM
Thanks for the update Rick.

I guess jet-boat camping with friends is pretty cool.