PDA

View Full Version : Port of Sacramento report 9/11/2005

David Lee
09-11-2005, 03:47 PM
Had the GREAT idea to mooch my wife's Kayak for a morning of chasin' Stripes @ the Port ....

She dropped me off around 9:00 AM , the first thing I do is .... Step into the &#$%@#$% Yak the WRONG way - result ?? I flipped over , and buried my head in 1 foot of water and 2 feet of mud .

This is before the first cast .... so you just know more is coming , right??

Discovered , very quickly , that one cannot cast a shooter AND row/hold the Yak in position at the same time . Saw only two fish break surface , and had zero hits/follows .

Fun , fun , fun ..... :mad:

David , still at three for the season -

Gregg Machel
09-11-2005, 03:56 PM
Ouch, 2 ft of mud! Where is that person with the digital camera when you need them. :twisted:

David Lee
09-11-2005, 04:07 PM
Crap !! forgot one detail ....

Stunningly beautiful day to be on the water , and not a bad day to be alive .

David

MSP
09-11-2005, 05:43 PM
Sounds like you are lucky to be alive to me. I've seen folks stuck in the crap you were in and would have never made it out without some help. At least you got out (and in) and enjoyed the day. Say hi to wife and throw that rubber duck to dogs now and then for me :wink:

later

Hairstacker
09-11-2005, 11:28 PM
David, sorry to hear you got off to a rough start. I suspect some kayaks are more squirrely than others -- at least that's my impression talking to a few kayaker fly fishermen I know.

It can be a challenge to cast/maintain control of the line while maintaining position, which is why I try to take advantage of opportunities to tie up to tules, trees, etc., when possible. I've also found a floater line to be, by far, the easiest type of line to employ.

As I continue my explorations of the Stanislaus, I'll try to figure out some good spots where you'll be able to make use of that kayak for some smallies. 8) 'Course, the Delta is also a good bet. . . . 8)