PDA

View Full Version : Lower American River

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-05-2005, 11:24 PM
http://www.kiene.com/gallery/albums/steelhead/bill_steel_004.sized.jpg

Bill Uyeki w/ guide Andy Guibord – Lower American River

9/4/05 - Sunday

7:00PM between Gristmill and Watt.

Bill hooked two fish like this in the same run with Andy's help on the oars.

One on a 14 BH Copper John and one on a tan 12 Super Pupa.

I have fished the Lower American for over 40 years for Steelhead especially in the Fall. September and October is a special time for many of us on the river.

I have only caught two large Fall fish like this myself but I have seen and heard of many more. Most Steelhead now will be 16 to 22 inches but the are always a few bigger fish around. I am always swinging a small fly in the surface in the AM and PM so that might be way I catch so many smaller Halfpounders. I think you need to swing wet flies deep on a sinktip or use the indicator/nymph/shot system to get deeper for the big boys.

Your best better for these Steelhead would be to drift with a good fly fishing guide like Andy Guibord, Mike Bias or Keith Kaneko.

jbird
09-06-2005, 06:56 AM
Wow!!! What a dandy. Nice healthy fish.

Congratulations!

J

Jasonh
09-06-2005, 08:08 AM
Nice fish! It goes to show that if you target those steelies and put in the time on the americanin late summer and ealy fall you can be rewarded. I still believe there is a summer run of this in this river. That fish looks a lot like some fo the fish i have caught in july and august in the past. Most were from 3-8 lbs and wild! Unusual od Andy to not be srtiper fishing!

Jason Hartwick

k.hanley
09-06-2005, 09:06 AM
Bee-u-tee-fullll :P
Cheers, K

rrivera
09-06-2005, 02:53 PM
Great fish.. :!: Just a bit more concerned on what happened to that kyak in the upper right of the photo. Ouch... :shock:

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-06-2005, 09:44 PM
http://www.troutseeker.com/photos/american_beauty_090405.JPG

Here is another picture from Bill Uyeki's camera.

Adam Grace
09-06-2005, 10:38 PM
Bill's shot really shows us just how fat the steelie was.

NIce Fish!