PDA

View Full Version : American report 9/4/2005

David Lee
09-05-2005, 07:22 AM
Hit the lower A around noon w/ an old friend , he doesn't fish or do 'outdoors' things .... but he really wanted to go out in the bush for the day . Wish granted :!:

Took my new Albright 8 wt. that Jay Murakoshi sent ..... for the price , an AMAZING rod !! Using an old Masterey 8 wt. Bass bug taper dry line , I could fire honest 70 foot casts without trying (using 8 foot leader w/ a #2 Crease fly) - I don't know if I'm becoming a better caster , but that rod seemed to do everything I wanted it to , with little effort !

No hits , no follows :evil: ..... But , at the footbridge @ Sac State , I saw several Stripes between 10 and 20+ lbs. . Couldn't get a shot at any as they were crusing the middle of the river . Saw a very dead Stripe of well over 30 lbs. @ the pumphouse , no idea what caused its demise (it was a bit ripe , so I didn't check it too closely ....) .

Water was cool and still around 3000CFS - Upstream wind at 12 MPH , gusting to around 20 . Slapped a 1/0 clouser against my neck (didn't draw blood , but smarted #-o ) . With unlimited clear water , early and late seem to be the best times to get one of these fish to eat .

David

Tony Buzolich
09-05-2005, 09:42 PM
Maybe they're starving to death without all those shad to eat? :wink:

Just kidding, :D
TONY

Jgoding
09-06-2005, 12:16 PM
Maybe it was just his/her time to go. Still no luck with them stripes? We gotta hit it more David til we get a few to hand.

David Lee
09-07-2005, 11:36 PM
Tony -

Late season on the A is the toughest .... LONG (9-16 foot ) leaders and small bait , or crawdads , or half-pounders are the feed of choice . I don't know of a harder game to play on foot .........

Jeff -

Float from bridge to bridge this weekend in tubes ?? I've an idea where those Stripey bastards are hanging :idea:

David

MSP
09-11-2005, 05:49 PM
Jeff and David, you guys just to give it up and hit the Sac. for some Catfish on some bait rigs :D Just kidding as you know, hang in there and don't forget my signature, I haven't :P