PDA

View Full Version : Folsom Lake

BSD
09-04-2005, 10:53 AM
Went out to Folsom Lake last night and threw some clousers for a couple hours but couldn't find any action. This was my first time fishing there and started close to the dam and went into a couple coves and a couple of rocky points. Does anyone else fish this area? I heard from friends fishing this area that they usuaaly get a lot of spotteds and smallies, but they were gear guys and fishing Feb. through May. Does anyone know if this is a less productive time? Should keep hitting this water or should I wait a little, maybe it will turn on again with cooler weather? I never really fish lakes either, usually just rivers, so any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Brian

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-04-2005, 11:28 AM
I think Spring, Fall and Winter is best for fly fishing on Folsom Lake.

The Fall in October will bring the bass in from the deep to the shoreline again and the trout will come up to eat the Threadfin Shad too.

Trout are near the top all winter.

Bass come into the shallows in the Spring to spawn so this is the best time for them. April, May and even June is good.

Early and late in the day is always better.

Right now there are too many recreational people and the fish are deeper because of the heat. Weekdays are always better.

This will be changing very soon though with the cooling of Fall.

Many anglers fish the North and South arms of the lake, especially in the Spring.

A boat, float tube or pontoon boat is good so you can fish the shore line with a sinking line and a streamer (Clouser or Wolly Bugger).

Right now you could run up the North Fork arm of the lake in search of cooler water. Rattle Snake Bar on the NF is a popular place for Bass.

Some years you can have Fall top water action with bass and trout chasing the Threadfin Shad to the surface. October is a big month for this. The Threadfin Shad go in cycles so some years are better than others.