PDA

View Full Version : Klamath River-Happy Camp area

Noe Fierros
09-03-2005, 08:41 PM
Just got back from the upper Klamath (Happy Camp area). Wanted to see if there were any early salmon in that far. Only saw one and a few smolts. Stayed at the Klamath River Resort Inn. I would highly recommend this inn. Check out their website: www.KlamathRiverResortInn.com. It is located a couple of miles upstream of Happy Camp.
Made a kayak run from China Flat down to the inn. It took about 4 hours of almost constant paddling. Except for one dredger we were the only people on the river. It would be easy to make a full day of the float when the fish are in and you pull out at the Inn. Many many good looking places to cast a line. Good thing about this run is that it is reachable only by water craft so you get a very long stretch of the river to yourself. There is shuttle service available if you do not wish to hire a guide and 'run' the river using your own water craft. Also, the manager, Mr James Buchner may be looking into acquiring a couple of pontoon boats....much easier to fish out of than a kayak. Facilities at the Inn are great. You can cook your own meals there or go into town for dinners. All the rooms have California King beds. They're quite large. I plan on getting back there later this fall. I just needed to try it out and see for myself if the salmon made it up that early. I'm sure they majority of them will be in there soon since we saw that single fish upstream of Happy Camp/the Inn. More later on this area........

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-03-2005, 09:57 PM
Thanks Noe

Take abunch of pictures and we will get them up here for you next time.

I think October and even November would be best for Happy Camp on the Klamath River.