PDA

View Full Version : rogue river

jbird
09-01-2005, 04:52 PM
Since this section has been a little quiet the last couple days, I'll break the Ice with a fresh report. Mark and I had another dandy day a couple days ago. Cold morning kept the fish quiet till about 10am and things turned on. I think we hooked 9 fish between 10 and 2 oclock.

J

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v283/jbird35/steelhead028.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v283/jbird35/steelhead029.jpg

Jasonh
09-01-2005, 05:41 PM
Jbird, i saw your report on the fly fishing the state of jefferson board. Sounds like you guys had a pretty good day. Nice pics! Did you pick up your fish nymphing or on the swing? Keep it up!

Jason Hartwick

jbird
09-01-2005, 06:02 PM
We got them nymphing, But I'm sure theyd take the swing. The problem where we're fishing is the loose, floating weed debris coming down the river. it's so bad right now that anything swung has 3 pounds of cabbage on it within 2 seconds....no kidding. There are some clumps so huge, they would jerk the rod out of your hand if you were daydreaming.

J

rrivera
09-01-2005, 10:12 PM
Nice looking fish jbird... :!: Kinda jealous in your catch numbers. . :shock: We're waiting for the halfpounders to show up on the American, hopefully by mid Sept. we'll have some pics to share with you as well.

Keep it up... What's your nymph recipe on your leader these days on the Rogue..?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-01-2005, 10:36 PM
Thanks for the report and fine pictures.

What part of the Rogue are you fishing?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-14-2005, 10:03 PM
Just got the inside scoop today on "jbird" and "sculpin" in southern Orgeon.

Gary Anderson of Anderson Custom Rods says these are the two top fly fishers on the Roque River.

I am excited that they are posting on our BB.

Adam Grace
09-14-2005, 11:03 PM
Nice fish jbird, good goin!

jbird
09-15-2005, 06:59 PM
Bill

Mark and I truly appreciate the warm welcome. This is a nice site and is very active, with lots of insight on different fisheries. A lot of respectful members as well. Thanks to Mr Anderson for the kind words. He is a class act and makes one heck of a rod.... I have to dissagree with him tho. There are quite a lot of amazing fishermen/women up here. Truth be told, the Rogue deserves all the credit. It is a unique fishery that can make ANYONE look like a hero. I am simply one of the many riding the rogue wave. Its a sweet ride, let me tell ya.

Jay

PS I just noticed the questions above I never answered...sorry. The nymph settup is the same as always. A big beadheaded stone pattern, heavily weighted on top, and a small unweighted nymph of your choice at the point. A #14 green rock worm is one of my favorites. These fish will take any trout nymph. Bill. I am usually on the upper river. Anywhere between Gold rey and the hatchery. I do prefer the lower half of that stretch. My little gold mine down below gold rey is about to come into season tho...another week or 2 and I'll hammer that for the month of october.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-15-2005, 09:42 PM
jbird,

I fished the Rogue a few times with Al Perryman when he was guiding about 10-15 years ago. We had some good days there in October.

I describe the Upper Rogue River to people to be very much like our river, the Lower American, but with lots more fish.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-15-2005, 09:44 PM
jbird,

Gary told me not to ever fish behind you and 'sculpin' because you guys will pretty much hook most of the fish first.

Maybe some of these CA guys will get up there and have some luck this Fall?

sculpin
09-16-2005, 08:53 AM
Bill
Gary Anderson is a great guy and rod builder.I always enjoy bumping into him on the river. However I question his judgement of top flyfisherman. I guess he has never seen me tripping and falling all over the river with my line all wrapped up on everything thing around including myself while trying to hack out a cast. I enjoy your site and the folks posting on it. There are many topics here I enjoy reading and learning about.

Mark

MSP
09-16-2005, 01:06 PM
Beatiful fish Jay. I wanna catch one :shock:

jbird
09-16-2005, 10:33 PM
Gary told me not to ever fish behind you and 'sculpin' because you guys will pretty much hook most of the fish first. LOL! Thats hilarious! Well then I'll tell you the secret to not let that happen. Neither of us like to get on the river very early. lol

jbird