PDA

View Full Version : Vise?

SteelieD
08-30-2005, 01:07 PM
For those of you who read my post regarding the Trinity... you'll see I mentioned doing some "guiding". Well, my buddies pretty much cleaned out my box and I figure now is as good a time as any to learn to tie my own flies. I'd like to see if I can get my self into a decent vise for about $100. Mostly appropriate for smaller trout flies, but flexible as I imagine I'll be getting into some salmon and big winter steelhead soon here in the Pacific NW. I figure I can accumulate the rest of the tools and materials from there. Suggestions? Let 'em fly! :lol:

JD
08-30-2005, 02:06 PM
Check out: http://flyfisherman.com/ftb/hwvise/

Personally, I think the really good vises are in the $130-160 range. Spend the extra money now, rather than later.

If you really have to stick to budget, I'd get a Griffin 1A or 2A and spend the savings on materials...and you will be buying lots of materials, if you really get the bug.

Luck.

Jasonh
08-30-2005, 02:25 PM
I would recommend a dyna king vise. I believe it is called the kingfisher model and is about $125. It is a good price and will last you a while. That my 2 cents worth.

Jason Hartwick

SteelieD
08-30-2005, 04:55 PM
JD / Jason... THANKS. It looks like I need to bump my budget to $150. I figured that would happen. Anybody use the Peak Rotary vise? It seems to have some favorable reviews. Do I really need a rotary vise...?

Gregg Machel
08-30-2005, 05:05 PM
I was looking for a vise around that range a year ago too. I talked to many people and picked the Regal vise. I also see it used in a lot of shows. It sells for $150 just about everwhere. Many tyers that have been doing this for years use that vise. I've been happy with it, although it hasn't seen much tying this summer. :(

Hairstacker
08-30-2005, 07:05 PM
SteelieD, you don't "really" need a rotary vise but, geez, a vise with rotary capability sure is a handy thing to have at times. In fact, I think some fly tyers would say they would feel "crippled" without that feature. Having said that, many accomplished tyers have spent their fly tying careers with a vise with no rotary capability. I would advise you, though, to get one with it, all else being equal. Like I said, I think you will find it extremely handy at times.

PaulC
08-30-2005, 07:15 PM
Hey SteelieD,
I'd also recommend the rotary. Its one of those things you can get by without but being able to rotate the fly around while tying makes alot of procedures much more quick and simple.
I have a dynaking voyage that isn't rotary, howver, that is great for travel. I think its in the 150 range.
Renzetti also makes a traveller vise which I think is in the lower price range, which some of my friends use and like.
I've heard good things about the peak also, but haven't tried one.
-Paul

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-30-2005, 10:17 PM
The DynaKing "Kingfisher" and the Regal are pretty good values for $130-150 range.

Grub67
09-01-2005, 12:33 PM
I would look at the classifieds on this board, I believe it was Adam Grace selling a couple of vises. one was a Thompson "A" and the other was a Regal rotary vise.

jbird
09-01-2005, 06:13 PM
steelyd

The danvise by orvise is under $100, its a true rotary and can handle hooks from no-see-ums to "WOW! thats a big hook" I have a danvise that Ive used for years, I just bought a Griffin Montana Mongoose which is a lovely tool. But I stiil use the Dan more......I highly recommend it. Dont forget to check ebay.

J

k.hanley
09-02-2005, 08:07 AM
Say Hey SteelieD,
The Renzetti Traveler is an awesome vise. I've had one for over a decade. They're lightweight, strong, and rotary design. I often use mine tying on the show circuit. I believe it retails for around $154.
Cheers, Ken
PS: I've upgraded mine to use the new Cam lever design for the jaws.

SteelieD
09-05-2005, 11:55 AM
Thanks guys for all the suggestions! Rotary it is... I'll get to checking these out and let you know what I come up with. I hope to be proficient enough to jump in on a fly swap soon. 8)

Adam Grace
09-05-2005, 04:22 PM
The Regal rotaty vise is great. I would still be tying on it if I did not own one of the best vises ever, the Dyna-King Barracuda full rotary vise.

My regal vise is still for sale for a steal at $50.

Gregg Machel
09-05-2005, 06:17 PM
That Regal vise is a steal at $50.00. I looked all over for that vise a year or so ago, nobody discounts it. It sells for $150.00 new.

SteelieD
09-05-2005, 08:20 PM
Adam, consider it SOLD! You all have always had such great advise and so much experience that I will save myself the shopping and use the extra cash for tying materials!