PDA

View Full Version : Klamth Report

Rick J
08-29-2005, 07:08 PM
Hit the Klamath this weekend for 3 days - pretty slow for the most part - most fish were at Blue Creek but they were tough and that kind of fishing in crowds gets old - managed two adults - one around 4# and one around 6 (see photo). Fished all the way up to Metah and hooked a few fish in various runs. Heard half #'s were coming into the lower riffles around Blakes and Starwin but they were packed on our way down river our last day so did not stop. Still great to be on the river - we camped at Strumps. Managed a few nice half #'s on my Anderson 1204 spey rod which was fun - the adults came on single handed rods.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a395/RickJ/DSCN1758.jpg

jbird
08-29-2005, 09:33 PM
Thats a nice bright fish! good job, great report. It sounds like the salmon are gonna be a bust on the rogue this year. The rogue bay is still completely dead. The salmon derby yielded around 20 fish for 200ish entrants. thats the way I heard it anyway.

The steelies are making a pretty typical showing tho. With few salmon in the river the steelhead game is going to take on a different face this fall. It may be profitable to fish nymphs all the way thru, and keep the globugs on the backburner.

J

Jasonh
08-30-2005, 04:36 AM
Rick, nice fish. That thing is so bright it could blind someone!

Jason Hartwick

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-30-2005, 08:09 AM
Great Rick,

I guess you are getting warmed up for our Grande Ronde trip?

How did they fight?

Rick J
08-30-2005, 12:35 PM
Bill,
I am chomping at the bit!!! Per my e-mail a bit ago, for th GR, we will need Washington license for the float but if we fish up river around Boggans before and after the trip will also need Oregon license.

The bigger fish ripped me - hooked in a small pool above some rapids and he went over like a shot - would have got to my backing had I not chased hime downstream!! # for # I think Klamath fish are some of the hottest steelhead I have ever hooked!

Bruce was on the river on Sunday and went upriver and found a few fish - actually seemed to find more fish the higher he went - I think a slug of fish probably came in early and then it stopped. But maybe anotehr run is coming in.

Adam Grace
09-08-2005, 10:00 PM
Nice Klamath steelie Rick!

Lets try to shoot for early October. I realize that's a tad late but that's the soonest that I can make it.

What date works the best for you.

I would love to catch a nice steelie like yours in the picture.